How to Suggest MFP to Relatives

Options
Justin_7272
Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
I have a relative that's obese and has weight-related medical complications. She lives alone and is a vegan that doesn't eat a proper vegan diet. She's said she wants to lose weight. I think the support of MFP would be a game changer for her. Problem is I don't want her to sluff it off at first glance; it can be intimidating initially, and weighing food can sound extreme until you start. So I'm reaching out. How have you approached people you care about with the idea of joining MFP?

Replies

• dm01234_1
    dm01234_1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've mentioned this place to those that have asked about my success. One family member gave it a try and determined it wasn't for him. He has been wildly successful without using his own approach as have other friends of mine. They have lost and maintained without logging anything.

Just mention that it has been helpful to you and give it a try if they want sort of thing. Don't try to 'sell' it.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I tell people who ask me how I lost the weight about this site and as soon as I mention calorie counting they glaze over and lose interest. Most people want some kind of magic bullet or the one secret tip or one super food that will make them lose weight fast.

I don't bother anymore.

Maybe you could introduce it to her gradually. Perhaps starting with vegan recipes/groups and the sucess stories before explaining the logging side of it. If she enjoys the social side of it she will probably want to start logging
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is really any way to get someone to change in any real way.

I think you can mention it one time, and then let it go. As an adult (I'm assuming you both are 18) it's her life to live as she wants.

Unless she specifically asks you for your help - um - stay in your own lane.
  • MollsMomma
    MollsMomma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used the “I could really use some support.. think you’d like to join and we can do this together? We can walk together and swap recipes, and laugh and play all day!”
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I'd be careful with this.

Doing what's necessary to start managing your weight is difficult enough when it's something you really want and I don't think you can force, cajole, convince or goad someone to do it if they're not ready and willing.

In fact there's a real risk of it backfiring badly. I've seen people ramp up self destructive behaviour in response to this kind of thing. Almost like a 'You can't tell me what to do! And just to prove it I'm gonna do exactly the opposite" situation.
  • Lindyloo54321
    Lindyloo54321 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can only speak as a newbie to MFP. Had it not been for the concern of my 2 children, I would've blundered on, losing the odd pound or 2, then regaining it, and wondering why. Since they both recommended MFP, and using the Fitbit which had remained untouched, in its packaging, for 4 years, I haven't looked back. They've both encouraged me SO much, so I will be forever grateful to them.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    If they ask you specifically what you are doing to lose then mention the site. Otherwise, let it be. You do you and let them do their thing in their own time.