Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Does adding protein really help to lose

Does Protein really help to lose weight? I have been adding protein and I gained 3 pounds.😳. I need some help or feedback please. Am I on the right track by adding protein

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Protein is satiating for many people. If you are able to consistently eat fewer calories than maintenance you will lose weight. The key is finding the right combination (of protein, fiber and/or fat) that helps you do that.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited July 2019
    Protein is vital for building and repairing your body. Some people find it keeps them feeling fuller for longer, which is a bonus. Whether or not it helps you slim down, make sure you get the recommended amount anyway. Well, unless you have medical issues (like kidney failure) that make protein reduction necessary.

Apologies if this sounds patronising.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Calories matter for weight loss. Macros help with satiety. Some people feel more full with protein, I am actually more satisfied by carbs.
  • asochable
    asochable Posts: 43 Member
    Perhaps it’s councidence? Weight fluctuates so much based on hydration, muscle soreness, etc. For example, I increased my protein at the same time I increased my exercise. I did it intentionally—I wanted extra protein to help my muscles recover from the increased exercise. My weight also went up, but only for a few days, then it continued back on the downward trend. If you’re using a weight trend app, like Happy Scale, and you’ve increased protein for at least 2 weeks and it seems to be causing weight gain, then maybe readjust your ratio of macros, but chances are it’s just coincidence that you are more protein and your weight went up.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,293 Member
    Yeah, what they all said^^

If you are up 3 pounds on the scale, it's not likely that it is the protein unless you ate 10,500 calories extra protein - which I doubt. It's likely one of any number of other things, but not protein.

Protein is pretty important as a nutrient. Just try to stay as close as you can to your Protein and Fat Goals in your food diary. Stay within calories, that's the important thing for weight loss.

• goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    As people have explained, it’s all about CICO. But I must say that when I have protein for lunch, like I did today, it makes a HUGE difference in how full I feel for the rest of the day. That has the knock on effect of helping me not snack etc.
  • christy_d87
    christy_d87 Posts: 6 Member
    I find that when I increase my protein I gain. It’s the main reason i quit the new WW program. Not sure if my body doesn’t process it right or what, but it affects my weight and my digestion etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I find that when I increase my protein I gain. It’s the main reason i quit the new WW program. Not sure if my body doesn’t process it right or what, but it affects my weight and my digestion etc.

Sure, there are many posters who came here from WW as they found "free" foods weren't really free.

However, if you increase protein and decrease something else so you stay in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.