Currently lost 5 stone but putting it all back on again.

Options
gemziwoo
gemziwoo Posts: 3 Member
I lost 5 stone a year ago and now its coming back on... i must admit im eating more but i cannot for the life of me get motivated all of u lovely people with your success stories how do u manage to keep it off and keep motivated please help and well done for your amazing work 💪

Replies

• Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Find some pictures of when you were at your heaviest, compare them to how you look now and choose which you prefer.
    Think about all you can do now that you couldn't do then, do you want to go back there?

I've lost 4st over nearly 3 years, and have at least the same again to lose, but no way do I want to regain what I've lost.

Don't undo your fantastic achievement, go back to basics for a while.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    What's changed in your life, and what's changed in you? If I'm blue, motivation to do anything eludes me. Have you been really honest with yourself about what's making it harder, and what you need to change to make it easier?
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    What's changed in your life, and what's changed in you? If I'm blue, motivation to do anything eludes me. Have you been really honest with yourself about what's making it harder, and what you need to change to make it easier?

This is the issue I've been having. I lost around 75lbs, and since October I've regained about 16 of them. Most of that has been more recent, after losing two of my beloved cats and my job in less than two months, and I'm finding that depression is making it very difficult for me to get back on track. I hate that I let myself down, but I don't seem to be able to get back on the wagon. Even though I was unemployed when I lost the original weight, I think it's the other losses this time that are making it so hard to pull myself back up.

So, @gemziwoo , take heart from the fact that you're not alone! Many of us go through this, and at least you realise that it's happening so you have a chance to rein it in before it gets too bad.

For me personally, although I'm not fond of the idea of tracking my calories for the rest of my life I have to accept that it might be what's needed to keep my weight down. If I stop tracking I start eating slightly bigger portions, an extra treat or two (or three!), "one more slice of toast won't hurt", etc., and before I know it the pounds are creeping back. I hope that one day I might be able to control my intake without having to weigh food all the time, but for now it's what I need to do.

Motivation is very hard to come by some days, and sometimes I just have to take it one day at a time and try to at least not go over my maintenance level if I can't manage a deficit that day. A lot of people say that you can't rely on "motivation" and have to just DO the things you need to do, like brushing your teeth or paying your bills - few people are really motivated to do those things, but they have to be done anyway. Same with keeping an eye on your portions and weight. :)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

This is the issue I've been having. I lost around 75lbs, and since October I've regained about 16 of them. Most of that has been more recent, after losing two of my beloved cats and my job in less than two months, and I'm finding that depression is making it very difficult for me to get back on track. I hate that I let myself down, but I don't seem to be able to get back on the wagon. Even though I was unemployed when I lost the original weight, I think it's the other losses this time that are making it so hard to pull myself back up.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Jobs can be replaced, but the grief of losing a beloved pet is hard to bear. I wish I had the words to make it easier xx
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

I'm so sorry for your loss. Jobs can be replaced, but the grief of losing a beloved pet is hard to bear. I wish I had the words to make it easier xx

Aww... thank you, I appreciate that. One of them was sick anyway, although we hoped he'd hang on a while, but the other was unexpected. Unfortunately with the current economy here, replacing the job is not as easy as it might be!
  • aspirations345
    aspirations345 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I can relate.This is what my efforts to lose weight looks like since June 2012! They are right about losing a bit and gaining a lot more back at every attempt!
  • lciciotti3
    lciciotti3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great testimony! Thank you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!