Better, not older

Options
caco_ethes
caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
I see a lot of posts about people feeling old, and I’m at the age now where a fair number of these posts are made by people younger than me. We may not all be the same age but we do have one thing in common, every single solitary one of us: we’re the oldest we’ve ever been. And man does it suck on the days you feel it.

But what are some things that have come with age that have made you better? What have you learned, cultivated, or experienced that make the aging worthwhile?

Replies

• caco_ethes
    Options
    kevont wrote: »
    I'm not that old (mid 40s) but the need to impress people isn't as strong anymore. I wish I could tell my teen-age self that people will come and go. Some will like you some will not. In the long run, be who you are because in the long run you have to live with you are. I hope that makes some sense.

Totally get it. And the people who see the real you and stick around are gonna be the ones you value the most anyway.
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    kevont wrote: »
    I'm not that old (mid 40s) but the need to impress people isn't as strong anymore. I wish I could tell my teen-age self that people will come and go. Some will like you some will not. In the long run, be who you are because in the long run you have to live with you are. I hope that makes some sense.

Agreed with this / friends or acquaintances or overrated and come and go - some true friends are not overrated and will be there like fam but not all - so I tell my kids if you lose a few don’t sweat it
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I can dress according to my own sense of style without worrying about the opinions of other people. It took me a long time to get to this point. Sadly, I allowed friends to influence me way too much (well beyond the teenage years), and there are still some clothes in my closet that aren't "me".

I'm at the top of my game professionally. My expertise is highly valued. Something that is only achieved with years and experience.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I got nuthin'.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    My MIL respects me more.

And I respect her more because i get now how hard it is to do this mothering thing
  • mtndewme
    mtndewme Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I just care a lot less overall and wow, what a concept.
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Options
    Patience, I had a short fuse when I was younger.
    Now, I listen more than I talk.
    I’m sure there’s more that I can’t remember, lol.

• your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    I have a greater appreciation for youth.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    i’m not great at self evaluation performance reviews but maybe something about how i adopted a growth mindset or realized human potential is not fixed or that while multiple iterations were necessary on the path to final review going forward these changes will provide the information needed to fine tune the final product to best fit the customers specifications

I like thinking that you’re both the product and the customer. ❤️
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Once I turned 30, I started noticing subtle changes that come with aging like a few white hairs, occasional stiffness, random aches and pains, and I can’t handle liquor any more.

I am 37 but don’t feel or look old. Plus, I’m wiser, more confident, and have my life together now.
  • Ssssss666666
    Ssssss666666 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    58 and not feeling at all old. I definitely don't sweat the small stuff like I used to when I was younger. All in all I'm probably happier now than I was then🤔😀
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I’ve learned to think first, react second. I used to be so quick to respond, and it definitely showcased the worst parts of me.