Need help meal planning to loosing weight

2»

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    There's no reason for you to limit your foods so drastically right off the bat. That's what would make a person give up.

Your way of eating has to be sustainable.

What would you suggest a sustainable?

I'm a little nervous about answering. The anger and tension are palpable.

Sustainable is different for us all. I might like different foods than you. For me, a diet that is plant based with seafood, eggs and some dairy is sustainable. You might be allergic to seafood.

That said, tomorrow I'm fitting a gyro into my calories. Why? Because I want to.
  • rompydompy
    rompydompy Posts: 54 Member
    I like food. I like a lot of it, and a lot of so-called "forbidden" foods. Thing is, I see a lot of my fitter, fabulous friends who indulge in those delectable goodies, and so I figure, if they can be fit and have treats, so can I. I eat high volume, low calorie foods so I'm not unbearably starving while I'm on this journey, and I treat myself with chips, ice cream, etc when my calorie goals allow it. To me, this makes my journey sustainable. If you think this approach matches your needs, feel free to follow me, my diary is public. Ive been trying post photos and calorie counts of some of my meals to keep myself motivated.
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    edited July 2019
    1 cup of Rice - 160 Calories (White Rice - Sona Masoori - So that there's no cheating the calories)
    1 cup of Black Beans - 227 Calories
    2 Boiled Eggs - 136 Calories
    1/2 can (130g) of sweet corn - 100 Calories
    1 Banana - 105 Calories
    150g of Greek Yoghurt (Fat Free) - 81 calories (Full Fat) - 100 Calories
    1 Cup of Blue Berries - 86 Calories
    Total - +/- 895 Calories

I am not here to get in on the drama but I was watching this thread and I thought it was funny that what you suggested was pretty much my dinner today! (Close enough to for a resemblance but not exact.)

And I guess I will comment that my HSW was 226 at 5'1" (154 cm) and even THAT was hard to just make the change. And yes the diet might be necessary to change when you're in a habit of eating massive amounts of calorie-dense junk food. For me, that was the only way I could teach my body to eat less calories. Now I've moved back into some processed food but stay under my calories. And a lot of this is what I eat daily or at least 1-2 times a week.... In fact eggs, bananas, and berries ARE daily foods of mine.

Edit: I wanted to add for the OP: Do what works and change what doesn't. If you want to flip your diet to something healthy then I am all for that. If it's too hard, let yourself have a Big Mac or Whopper etc., but factor it into your calories.
    The most important thing for losing weight is having a calorie deficit. If you decide that in this time frame you would rather lose weight than eat healthy, that really is up to you. Change your "diet" as you see fit, and change what doesn't work, don't give up when things aren't going so well.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    There's no reason for you to limit your foods so drastically right off the bat. That's what would make a person give up.

Your way of eating has to be sustainable.

What would you suggest a sustainable?

I'm a little nervous about answering. The anger and tension are palpable.

Sustainable is different for us all. I might like different foods than you. For me, a diet that is plant based with seafood, eggs and some dairy is sustainable. You might be allergic to seafood.

That said, tomorrow I'm fitting a gyro into my calories. Why? Because I want to.

But see... THat's exactly my point.

I was just pointing out the 2 different ways of thinking.
    One way is to eliminate stuff that you eat and are making you sick and fat and eat single ingredient food. Like vegetables, grains, legumes, meat, fish, eggs.

But immediately, someone else came in trying to tell a person that was asking for help that it was ok to keep eating garbage.

That's what got me upset... I didn't meant to make you uncomfortable.
    I just wanted to see if you had something different in mind.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    First, to @tlpina82, if I pissed you off I apologize. It was not my intention. I am not upset nor angry. I simply disagree with you. Asking someone to completely change their diet day one is a recipe for failure for many. If you told me that a few years ago and I followed your advice I would still be fat. I have tried that before and I know many others who also did. Ask around here for advice from those who are successful long term and see how many changed things gradually (and didn't include foods they hate).

I'll look at your sources later when I have time but, yeah, I do consider the opinion pieces on any web site 'some blog' even if they seem to be on respected sites.

Meanwhile, a video in case you are interested in artificial sweeteners (I take it from the 'diet soda' comment you have issues with them as well). It also delves into gut health.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »

I have never been close to 305 pounds and I eat everything you say I shouldn't (and more)*.

That's exactly my point. You have no idea.

Food, for many people who are severely obese, is a vice, an addiction.
    And I bet you will never, ever find a nutritionist/dietitian that will take an obese person + all the metabolic issues that come with it and tell them it's ok to keep eating the very things that are making them sick.

No one here says that you can't have those things ever again, but if you're a person trying to make a choice to lose weight and live a healthier life, the only place to start is the kitchen.

Quick example:
    BIG MAC - 563 calories
    Large Fries - 510 calories (And lets be honest here, who orders small fries?)
    Small Coke - +/- 200 calories (And that's again, assuming small)
    Total - +/- 1273 Calories

Or

1 cup of Rice - 160 Calories (White Rice - Sona Masoori - So that there's no cheating the calories)
    1 cup of Black Beans - 227 Calories
    2 Boiled Eggs - 136 Calories
    1/2 can (130g) of sweet corn - 100 Calories
    1 Banana - 105 Calories
    150g of Greek Yoghurt (Fat Free) - 81 calories (Full Fat) - 100 Calories
    1 Cup of Blue Berries - 86 Calories
    Total - +/- 895 Calories

I know this is a futile exercise and you know what works for you, but i have 3 questions:

1 - Which meal is better for Health?
    2 - How Many people do you know that could sit and eat all that in one meal?
    3 - Which one is better for weight loss?

SO, to @19Native_Girl91, the original poster.
    Read all of the replies and make a decision between changing your habits or keep doing what you do today and see if anything changes.

Here's the thing: I got and stayed obese while eating pretty much the kinds of things on your "healthy foods" list, just waaaay too much of them, and I stayed obese while quite athletically active for 10+ years and eating those kinds of foods. Even now, at a weight in the mid-130s, I could easily eat all the things you list (for 895 calories) in one meal. (Occasionally, I pretty much do, with minor variations in the details.) I've never been much of a soda pop drinker, and I haven't had a Big Mac since 1974 (I've been vegetarian for 45+ years). I did eat fries occasionally . . . but I still do.

What @dewd2 suggested is excellent advice, and I endorse it:
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Start by logging EVERYTHING you are currently eating. Weigh everything and don't cheat yourself. Look at how many calories you are eating and how many you should be eating (MFP will tell you that if you enter you stats and goals). Then start to look at ways to either eliminate some things that push you over or just eat less of them. Do this for a couple weeks until you start hitting your goals.

There's no one true way to eat. You need to find what works for you.

Good luck.

As a more specific plan along these lines, this thread (below) describes the approach I used nearly 4 years ago to lose nearly 1/3 of my body weight, and maintain a healthy weight since, after literally decades of obesity (while age 59+ and hypothyroid, if that matters):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/

To lose weight (and especially to maintain a healthy weight long term), a person for sure has to change their habits. Which changes to make, and how, is a pretty individualized question. Overnight revolutions work for some people, but not for everyone.