Bad flu and exercise = bad idea?

Hi, so for the last couple of weeks I have been battling the flu from hell with a secondary infection that has me on antibiotics. I feel like I’m losing fitness but have been warned offeven basic resistance exercises (yoga etc) as it’s unwise. I’m a highly driven person and hate sitting around despite the fact that I feel like poop. Is it really that bad to exercise when sick?

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Thanks guys, it’s hard as all I want to do is get up and do stuff but everyone is yelling at me to sit down. I’m also craving porridge and yoghurt all the time, so I’m worried I’ll accidentally go over maintenance. Ahhhh the joys
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Thanks guys, it’s hard as all I want to do is get up and do stuff but everyone is yelling at me to sit down. I’m also craving porridge and yoghurt all the time, so I’m worried I’ll accidentally go over maintenance. Ahhhh the joys

Last time I was sick I went on a mostly liquid diet of loads of tea and spicy Asian soups (because this is what I want when I'm sick) and lost 6 pounds.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I don't know how you'd even manage a good workout. When I had the flu, I could barely walk. My legs hurt, I was coughing, and would lose my voice. I could manage a walk to the mailbox and then needed a rest. Especially if doctor ordered rest, just do it. You'll recover faster and get back to your regular routine sooner rather than push it now and relapse.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Listen to your body. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I don't know how you'd even manage a good workout. When I had the flu, I could barely walk. My legs hurt, I was coughing, and would lose my voice. I could manage a walk to the mailbox and then needed a rest. Especially if doctor ordered rest, just do it. You'll recover faster and get back to your regular routine sooner rather than push it now and relapse.
    I feel like crud and ave been coughing and lost my voice a few days back but I just hate sitting around. I feel like I’m being lazy. But I’ll do it as I don’t want to prolong recovery
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Find something to occupy your time like reading a great book, pick up knitting or something that requires using your cerebrum. Get back to fitness when you are cleared by your doctor. Fitness is a lifelong endeavor.