I need to cut or bulk advice please.

Ok im 5ft 9inchs tall and im 29 years old male. I am 16 stone should I cut or bulk I really need to lose this unwanted body fat then rebuild back up with muscle mass and get fitt? So what do yous suggest for me training/exercise diet wise? Plus do I need cardio and how much per week? Plus lifting weights.?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You are most likely at least 50lbs overweight and have a lot of fat to lose - you need to cut and for a long time.

Lift while you lose weight - you haven't said anything about your lifting experience or goals.

Do cardio while you lose weight - for fitness, health, hopefully enjoyment.

Really not understanding why you seem to be proposing to wait to start exercise? What do you think that would achieve?
  • sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    You are most likely at least 50lbs overweight and have a lot of fat to lose - you need to cut and for a long time.

Lift while you lose weight - you haven't said anything about your lifting experience or goals.

Really not understanding why you seem to be proposing to wait to start exercise? What do you think that would achieve?

Ok so how many calories do I need? to cut and is walking good as cardio thats what I enjoy most days I used to lift weights before over 3 years ago for 5 or 6 months but I was on the wrong diet which was terrible and I didn't enjoy the foods that I was eating.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sflano1783 wrote: »

Ok so how many calories do I need? to cut and is walking good as cardio thats what I enjoy most days I used to lift weights before over 3 years ago for 5 or 6 months but I was on the wrong diet which was terrible and I didn't enjoy the foods that I was eating.

This site will give you your calorie goal (exercise added on top) when you complete your goal set up.
    Or go to a TDEE site if you prefer that method.
    After a few weeks you can adjust based on your weight loss, energy levels and ease of compliance.

Cardio is a huge range, walking is cardio, running is cardio...… Of course walking is good but you aren't going to get very fit just walking. Comes back to goals and preferences and then you make your choices.

Effectively you are a beginner to lifting so pick a beginner focussed routine to follow for at least a few months or until your lifts stagnate,

Why do you think you need to eat a different diet to lose weight rather than just a smaller diet of the foods you enjoy?
    With a lot to lose enjoying your diet is a big factor in sticking to it. A "perfect diet" (if there is such a thing) that you can only tolerate for a few weeks won't get you anywhere.
  • sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    sflano1783 wrote: »

This site will give you your calorie goal (exercise added on top) when you complete your goal set up.
    Or go to a TDEE site if you prefer that method.
    After a few weeks you can adjust based on your weight loss, energy levels and ease of compliance.

Cardio is a huge range, walking is cardio, running is cardio...… Of course walking is good but you aren't going to get very fit just walking. Comes back to goals and preferences and then you make your choices.

Effectively you are a beginner to lifting so pick a beginner focussed routine to follow for at least a few months or until your lifts stagnate,

Why do you think you need to eat a different diet to lose weight rather than just a smaller diet of the foods you enjoy?
    With a lot to lose enjoying your diet is a big factor in sticking to it. A "perfect diet" (if there is such a thing) that you can only tolerate for a few weeks won't get you anywhere.

Thank you I will work towards my goals ☺💪