After 2 months of healthy eating - finally broke it

Options
JenG20
JenG20 Posts: 14 Member
So I decided to cleaned up my diet by excluding junk food two months ago. This change was caused by wanting to be healthier. I finally decided to clean up my not so good eating habits that I've had for years.

This week I decided to reintroduce junk food into my system. I ate salty, sweet, and processed carb foods.

This lead to first noticing how good it tasted (being happy about the taste). Then once I began eating more, I noticed how overwhelming the taste was (too sweet, salty, or greasy). At the end it was a bit nauseating (greasy film, the artificial sugar taste would linger, LPR sore throat or feeling congested)

I enjoyed it flavor wise. It would taste satisfying. Until a few minutes pass and I'd end up feeling hungry more often. This doesn't happen as often when I ate healthier before. I also felt a crash. My energy was up and down. Felt sluggish.

I'll be going back to my healthier diet. Though I will once in a while have some junk food.

But I think overall I get more of a bang for my buck from healthier foods. Energy lasts longer and I get my vitamins/minerals. This also helps my workouts.

Compared to the junk food I like to eat, which for me has my sluggish. It may have all the calories I need yet lacks nutritionally.

Does anyone have similar experiences?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely noticed that my body and taste buds are very happy with my pescatarian diet and no longer like the foods I used to love, like loaded pizza. While I will miss those foods, I choose to stick to the healthier way of eating.

What made you decide to go back to junk food?
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've eaten gluten free for two years and low carb since April. Every once in awhile I'll sneak a taste of something and I usually don't even enjoy it. Anything made with all purpose flour doesn't taste good to me any more, egg noodles and sugar cookies especially. If I cheat I usually end up with a stomach ache and fatigue, its not really worth it.
  • JenG20
    JenG20 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I wanted to see how I would react to the junk food.

Also kinda missed eating them so I wanted to give them a try after the 2 months.
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This has inspired me to continue with my healthy eating. I want to get to the stage where the sugary fatty carbs I crave don’t have the same appeal they once did. I’m only on day 3 (I know, pathetic), but each journey starts with a single step, right?! Thanks for posting.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Good for you cutting out the junk!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    "Junk food" is as subjective a label as "healthy" or "clean" is. The definition varies greatly from person to person.

Although certain foods are more caloric than others and therefore need to be limited in portion size or frequency if the goal is to lose weight (which includes lots of 'healthy' or 'clean' foods, btw), the classic culprits like burgers or pizza are actually pretty nutritionally well-balanced.

Tl;dr ? One person's junk is another's treasure. :)