Weight Numbers I Should Aim For?

Options
My stats:
39/M, 165 lbs, 5'8", always been skinny (as a teen I was "heroin skinny")

My goals:
Right now, lose weight. Eventually, build muscle. Probably not like extreme bodybuilder type muscle, but I do want to "look good naked."

My question:
So obviously, right now, I'm in the lose weight while preserving muscle phase. I'm eating around 2100 calories a day, exercising 5 days a week, eating lots of protein and watching my other nutrients, etc. What I'm not sure of is the number on the scale where I should say, "Ok, time to up the calories and resistance work." And then, when to stop doing that and ... you get the idea. My completely uneducated estimate is to stop shedding at about 140-145. Then work back up to about 160. But I just don't know.

Thanks!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    My stats:
    39/M, 165 lbs, 5'8", always been skinny (as a teen I was "heroin skinny")

My goals:
    Right now, lose weight. Eventually, build muscle. Probably not like extreme bodybuilder type muscle, but I do want to "look good naked."

My question:
    So obviously, right now, I'm in the lose weight while preserving muscle phase. I'm eating around 2100 calories a day, exercising 5 days a week, eating lots of protein and watching my other nutrients, etc. What I'm not sure of is the number on the scale where I should say, "Ok, time to up the calories and resistance work." And then, when to stop doing that and ... you get the idea. My completely uneducated estimate is to stop shedding at about 140-145. Then work back up to about 160. But I just don't know.

Thanks!

The healthy weight range for your height is 125-163 lbs. Obviously this is a generality and not a rule, but it gives you an idea. When to stop losing is really up to you. How you feel, how you look, how easily you can eat the calories and maintain the activity required to stay there - they all play a role. How much muscle you carry will play a role too: two men of the same height and weight but one at 15% BF and one at 23% will look and feel different. Getting a physical with routine bloodwork and discussing your health with your doctor is important too.

As far as determining when to bulk/cut, I have no experience there so can't help you there.
  • acedawg96
    acedawg96 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @JBanx256 this is super inspiring for me. I am 41, 5'4" and coming in at about 138. For the past 5 weeks I have gotten back into my fitness routine (started with 45 min cardio, light weights 6 days a week for four weeks and dropped 8 pounds to 135. Now for the past week have gone to heavier weight training and light cardio 6 days a week and gained 3 pounds!) and was struggling to not see the pounds shred off the scale. My clothes fit amazing, I look and feel great, but the scale had my mind twisted. Your photo is the reminder I needed that the scale is only to be used as a guide and to use the changes in my body as proof of the hard work I am putting in. Thank you!