600 calories over today 😬 advice?

Options
Hi there. I went 600 calories over today - which is about 380 over my maintenance! No particularly special day or anything, stuck to goal until after dinner when I just started craving snacks. Anyways very disappointed with myself .... do you think this will cause weight gain? Should I try and balance out over the course of this week by saving 100 cal per day or just write it off and start fresh tomorrow?

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    It is a long haul journey, not a sprint. Don't worry about it, but try to learn from it. Start from fresh today.

It may have caused some weight gain, depending on the level of your deficit, but it will be pretty negligible. (I think 3,500 calories is about equivalent to a pound of fat. So 600 calories is equivalent to about 1/6th of a pound.)
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other responses - it happens to all of us from time to time. For me, the big thing is not beating myself up over it - think of all the super successful days when I've done well and realize they far outnumber the once in a while day where snacking just happens.

And if it's helpful, I did the same thing last night. Good, healthy dinner and a reasonable sized dessert of fresh peach crisp...and then decided right before bed to have chips and salsa AND butterscotch pudding - and didn't even bother to measure either. Oops.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    It is a long haul journey, not a sprint. Don't worry about it, but try to learn from it. Start from fresh today.

It may have caused some weight gain, depending on the level of your deficit, but it will be pretty negligible. (I think 3,500 calories is about equivalent to a pound of fat. So 600 calories is equivalent to about 1/6th of a pound.)

Of the 600 only 380 was above maintenance. The 600 calories was over the calorie goal for weight loss so it's only about 1/10th of a pound.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have had several similar days recently. Accept it and make an effort not to repeat in the next day.

Usually once a week it happens where I eat too much and don't work out. But like the others have said it takes a 3,500 gain to actually put on a pound, so while the scale may show a 2 or 3 pound gain, it will quickly reverse. Move on and as I write in my log "TYN", which means trust your #'s. If you record properly any short term gain will go away. I've been taking this approach for 6 years and really appreciate MFP for just being available.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    It's really not a big deal in the grand scheme. I've lost over 50 pounds and have probably gone off plan about twice per month during that time.

If it starts happening very often then that's a different story.
  • oharras
    oharras Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You seem to be concerned because you have made this a topic....I record all I eat and pay close attention in the evening because I know that once overeating or craving starts, it will continue so my self-discipline and purpose for keeping weight off being my health kicks in and I let go of the craving--it fades--chew some gum, that will always break my craving. Use this situation to help create a stronger self discipline and think about how your health will improve with the weight off....
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself; it's just food. Log it and move on.

If it happens again, try to figure out why you are craving snacks so bad. Is your deficit too aggressive? Do you need a "diet break"?
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Try again tomorrow.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    OR go for a weekly average - that means to can eat more on days you are hungrier, and less on the others.
  • Jenanne31
    Jenanne31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There's a weight loss app at https://www.pbrc.edu/research-and-faculty/calculators/sswcp/, called the Single Subject ExcelÂź Based Weight Change predictor. It helps you calculate your projected weight loss based on calorie intake and age, weight, height etc. It's not 100% accurate but it's close enough to be helpful.
  • trbp72
    trbp72 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Like most are saying here...don't sweat it...it happened...move on...if it begins to happen regularly...then look at why...I have days where I feel like a remorseless eating machine at night...if I have tasty snacks in the house...they end up in my belly...whether I require them or not...it's a real failing of mine and one I keep addressing...but the way my life has gone in the last month or so...I've been a slave to it and have stopped and started on an almost weekly basis...I'll be no doubt rebooting in 7 days because we are going away on Thursday this week...so I will be leaving the gym and home-handled meals behind in favour of socializing at the Punk Festival we are attending whilst eating (somewhat sensibly) in pubs or seaside takeaway establishments...

Once that's done and dusted...I will be able to look at streamlining my food life again and picking back up the exercise regime...the point here being that life is your greatest roadblock and sometimes you gotta just roll with those punches...get knocked down...and get back up again...I keep doing it...and I'm not gaining weight...so something is working right?!
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    its just 1 day further from the goal. Dont be depressed about it.
  • Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been a little hungrier lately but this is the first time I have gave in.

I am currently at my goal weight (but still not happy with how my body looks) have now been looking into re-composition but have no idea how to approach this- are you supposed to eat at a small deficit still or maintenance?