Calorie burn on a long drive?

aziz_n1
aziz_n1 Posts: 140 Member
Currently on a business road trip. Been on the road for 4hrs so far, on my 2nd stop as per safety guides for a tea. Still got I reckon 2-3hrs at least of driving. I know it’s not much physical exertion but the concentration and mental exertion levels are high. Is that why I feel hungry on such trips? Had a decent breakfast before setting off and a healthy salad for my lunch stop. Can’t help wondering how many calories get burnt from mental exertion on such trips? Probably not that many..

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    If you're a driver who actually takes driving safely seriously, I think it takes a lot of brain power on long trips. I would think that would burn more calories than watching tv, which are both done in a seated position (hopefully). 😉
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    If buring cals from concentration and mental exertion were enough to lose weight... none of us would be here.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited July 2019
    https://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/science/02qna.html Some sophisticated studies say you might burn a max of 10-20 calories more on days when you do extended concentrated mental activity. So that’s not what you feel more hungry!

For me, it’s usually boredom combined with the tendency to eat more processed road trip snacks (less protein and fat means stronger hunger feelings for me).
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Ditto on the boredom and processed snacks for me.

About once a month I make a trip to visit my mother--about 5 hours one way. There's something about being in the car on a long drive that makes me want to snack constantly.

I do my best to combat it by (a) eating a filling and healthy meal before I depart; (b) packing a cooler of raw veggies to munch on, and (c) travelling with a water bottle and sipping on water or iced tea.

I make a point NOT to have any potato chips or other carby snacks in the car with me!