Trouble staying to 1200 net calories

Options
ahrearick
ahrearick Posts: 6 Member
Hello! I am just starting (again) to try to lose weight and hoping I stick with it for once. I'm near the obesity line and want to lose atleast 20-30 lbs, so I put it in my settings to lose 1 lb/week. It has me at 1250 calories and it is difficult not to feel constantly hungry eating this little. I'm trying to exercise. But 200-300 calories more of expenditure doesn't seem to give me enough more to eat. Anyone have any tips?

Replies

• ahrearick
    Options
    Thanks kimondo666! I have cut all processed foods out. But nuts are insanely high calorie (though I need the protein) and I feel like I have no options but salad. May be me complaining more than anything
  • ahrearick
    Options
    Not vegan or anything- I'm not usually a giant meat eater though. Thank you for the tips!
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I second volume eating!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    While protein, fiber, and large volume of non-calorie-dense foods like many vegetables are helpful for a lot of people, don't ignore fat. Fat is my satiating macro, and I eat toward the high end of the daily recommendation or over. Volume foods don't satisfy me. Just food (heh) for thought.

That said, 1250 is pretty low, and adding more fat would reduce the volume of food you can eat even more. That's why I slowed my weight loss to .5 pounds per week when I hit that stage.
  • CassLaBaraque
    CassLaBaraque Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try some protein-dense foods that are low in calories. Think tofu (if you're not used to it I suggest looking into the vegan community - these guys know what they're doing with their tofu!), eggs, plain 0% greek yogurt with berries, fish, etc. Pack your plate with veggies (again look out for recipes if you don't wanna be eating salad all the time). Don't forget to have a bit of carbs if you don't wanna go crazy and end up binging after a few days. Nuts aren't even that great for proteins, I suggest other sources.
    Good luck! :)
  • Hyacinth_Hippo
    Hyacinth_Hippo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    depending on your size, 1250 might be too low. Aside from that, are you drinking enough water? I second what others have said about protein - I find a hard boiled egg, a piece of cheese, or a turkey pepperoni stick usually help me not feel so snacky. I also like chia seeds in yogurt with berries.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    How tall are you, and what are your current and goal weights? 1 pound per week may or may not be a reasonable pace of weight loss depending on your stats.
  • ahrearick
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    How tall are you, and what are your current and goal weights? 1 pound per week may or may not be a reasonable pace of weight loss depending on your stats.

I am 5'1 at 155 lbs (160 is obese at my height for a female). I am aiming for 1200 and missing by 100-200 calories a day (so I can expect closer to 0.5 lbs lost). I know it's better slow and steady but I can't imagine staying motivated and committed if I only lose 2 lbs a month.

Thank you everyone else for the tips as well! I'll definitely look at other protein sources. I'm hoping once I'm used to lower volumes I'll feel less hungry too.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    It usually takes me 2-4 weeks to adjust when I lower calories by even a couple hundred.

I agree with everyone who says Volume Eating. Lots of vegetables, and make sure to hit those Goals for protein and fat. Carbs make me hungrier, so that's where I cut back when in weight-loss mode. Less bread, less pasta and rice, no cold cereals or crackers, very few sugary things.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Make sure to eat back any exercise calories earned. I'm 5'1 and started at 167, i lost at 1300-1400 calories a day moving a lot (step wise not exercise wise). Your calorie goal makes me thing you selected sedentary, which is VERY very sedentary as per MFP.

Agree with volume eating, that's what i do. I add tons of vegetables to all meals (carrots, celeri, cuccumber). raw and with nothing on them as they are strictly for bulk but I also ENJOY and like these vegetables. I do weigh and log them.

I eat a ton of broccoli slaw. Buy a bag, throw in some low cal dressing you like and let it mix a bit. Currently using newman's own sesame dressing.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    1 Egg daily is also good idea if you are adding protein. They are 101 kcal per egg. At more calories than 1250(1500) kcal, you can get 3x500 kcal meals which would give you plenty of options to get by in the day. And use a food scale to get accurate logging.

1 large egg is only 70 calories. A jumbo egg is 90 calories. A large egg has 6 grams of protein and a jumbo egg has 8. While they are certainly a source of protein, just one egg along won't make a significant dent in meeting daily protein targets.
    Hmm egg is 155 kcal per 100g, which has 13g protein, i weighted egg myself(after breaking it to the container) with food scale and it was 65gram. So 101 kcal. Maybe in usa eggs are less large. Fair enough.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    I eat crackers instead of bread and even munch on them if hungry less calories.