Struggling to make progress

Options
Hi

I'm beginning to get frustrated with my slow progress so thought I would ask for some advice.

I'm 29, 5ft 8 and currently 145lbs. I started this week at 143lbs so have somehow gained 2lbs in 5 days despite eating well and training for 1.5 hrs a day 5/6 times per week.

I hate cardio and love lifting so my training is as follows (3 days on then a rest day etc):

Back/Biceps - 8 exercises, 3 sets of 12 reps (or to failure)
Chest/Triceps - as above
Shoulders - 4/5 exercises, 3 sets of 12 reps (or to failure)

Before anyone says i'm skipping leg day I have had 5 knee surgeries so can't do legs!

I also do 20 minutes on the cross trainer about 4/5 times per week and 15 minutes of core work most sessions.

My calorie goal is 1850 and macros are set at 30% protein, 50% carb and 20% fat. This is based on BMR - 20% which is 2017 calories but i've taken it down a little bit to account for under-estimating etc. I have 2 Maximuslce Promax Lean shakes a day but no other supplements.

My main question is why are the scales not going down? I workout hard and eat pretty clean (I do have a cheat meal once a week) so i'm getting prety frustrated.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    You can't really judge anything that happens over 5 days. Maybe you ate something salty and are retaining water, maybe it's your time of the month, maybe it's something else. Our weight naturally fluctuates from day to day. Look for trends, not single changes in the number on the scale.

Also, without your diary open, no one really knows what you mean when you say you've been eating well, do we can't give suggestions in that area.

Lastly, you are already at a pretty healthy weight, expect your loss to be very slow. I'm not saying that to discourage, but as a reality check. You are probably going to see. .5 pound loss per week maximum. Some weeks none. As as you've experienced, sometimes the scale will go up. Take measurements and photos. That may tell you more than the scale.
  • Stasha83
    Stasha83 Posts: 39
    Options
    Sorry, I should have said my weight hasn't really dropped for about a month, maybe goes up and down by the same few lbs.

I realise my loss will be slow especially as I lift too so I guess I just need to be more patient but it would be good to know that I'm on the right track.

I've opened my diary now.