Need Help with Plateau

Options
OK, so the tables said to have 1750 calories. But, I didn't lose any weight at 1750. So, I reduced that target to 1500 and thereafter over about 300 days I have lost 39 of 240 lbs in linear fashion - one pound every 7-10 days. Mostly at 1300-1400 calories. I eat a lot of fish. Shrimp, lobster, lump crab, ahi tuna, etc. And a lot of chicken noodle soup. And a lot of rotisserie turkey breast. Plus a ton of berries and fresh fruit. No chips nts or deserts other than an ounce of dark chocolate when the end of the day I still have too many caloriees left.

Recently, I got a little compulsive and started logging days around 1000 calories and weight loss leveled off even though I have gone down in calorie intake. I don't get it.

Anyone have a thought about this?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    So you weight 201 now? Or is 240 the amount you intend to lose? What is your goal? Also, what is your age and height. I see from your profile you believe yourself to be "very sedentary".

On first read your weight loss math seems off so I question the accuracy of your logging. Are you using a food scale to weigh all solid foods?

How long ago did you reduce or think you reduced to 1000 calories?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    denisej196 wrote: »
    I am needing help too with this. It is rather discouraging you eating, working out, and no results. i can empathize with you...I have tried reducing salt in my diet...just started that so I will let you know how that works. Good luck to you. Its like if you dont eat enough calories you body goes into starvation mode and holds on to the fat.It is all so confusing and the body is extremely complicated...

First, starvation mode is a myth. It doesn't work like that. When you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight. It really is that simple.

Where folks mess up is calculating how much they eat and how much they burn. For this to work you have to log everything (be honest with yourself). You can't just guess either. Get a scale and start weighing your food.

Also, don't be surprised when you weight fluctuates. It can go up and down daily. Look at trends over weeks.

Good luck.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    denisej196 wrote: »
    I am needing help too with this. It is rather discouraging you eating, working out, and no results. i can empathize with you...I have tried reducing salt in my diet...just started that so I will let you know how that works. Good luck to you. Its like if you dont eat enough calories you body goes into starvation mode and holds on to the fat.It is all so confusing and the body is extremely complicated...

It is confusing until you understand that your weight fluctuates up and down for reasons unrelated to fat weight loss.

Please read this:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    So you weight 201 now? Or is 240 the amount you intend to lose? What is your goal? Also, what is your age and height. I see from your profile you believe yourself to be "very sedentary".

On first read your weight loss math seems off so I question the accuracy of your logging. Are you using a food scale to weigh all solid foods?

How long ago did you reduce or think you reduced to 1000 calories?

I started at 240 last fall. I now weigh 200.4. I am a little OC. I weigh everything. I was a lab tech in a P&G food lab years ago. I know what I am doing. I am very very sedentary. I cut the grass, float around in the pool, and that is about it for exercise. I reduced to 1000 calories off and on over the past month. I only lost a pound this month. I don't set goals, but I weighed 180 for 20 years when I was more active so that would be nice.

Thanks.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I log cough drops. Skim milk in coffee. Jalapenos in the salad. If I eat it it was weighed, looked up and logged. I never trust MFP database. If it doesn't say USDA or NIH in the link I get several sources.

Again, I don't set goals. If I ened up at 200, it would be ok. My brother built like me only a few years older is at 165. He swims laps every day for a mile.

Water retention is a possibility. While I have no apparent swelling, I'll see if I can take a few steps to reduce water.