Any success stories from 140 to 120lbs? (Women)

Options
I would love to know if there is anyone with a success story of getting to 120lbs from 140-145. What are the biggest things that helped? How long did it take? How many calories did you eat? I’m a mid-20’s female. 5’4”.

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I started at 140 and my goal is 122. I am at 124 currently and it’s taken me since the end of Feb. I’ve been working on the last 5 pounds for six weeks so far. Goal is to lose it all before Labor Day. I’ve been eating at between 1300-1400 except for the occasional splurge (goal is 1300 but sometimes I am over, even after exercise). I’m 5’ 4.5” I have been lifting (heavy for me but not for many others) 3x week and doing moderate cardio 1-2 additional days throughout my weight loss journey. Things that have helped me:

- realizing that I will get there eventually if I don’t give up
    - Weigh and log everything. I actually don’t weigh EVERYTHING but do weigh most things, and definitely anything calorie dense
    - My desserts turned into after dinner snacks of mostly flavored Greek yogurt or sometimes fruit.
    - I eat almost nothing that is not full of good nutrition, except for special,occasions. No empty calories, no junk. Everything is calculated on the basis of calories, how much protein is in it, how much it will fill me up/keep me full and how much I like it. I eat NOTHING that I don’t like. Those calories are too precious.
    - I track protein, fiber and fat macros. I aim for 100-120 grams of protein a day and at least 30 of fiber (fiber for medical reasons, protein to help build strength while lifting, and fat for satiety).
    - I eat back every exercise calorie I could justify, including when my husband and I go swing or ballroom dancing.
  • Pricklypineapple422
    Pricklypineapple422 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and have went from 160 lbs to my current weight of 116 lbs. Many will say that exercise is for fitness not weight loss, but exercise has been a huge help in my weight loss. For me, being at the lower end of a healthy weight and trying to lose weight leaves me with a small amount of calories I can eat per day. Exercising has allowed me to eat more which has made it more sustainable for me (my current calorie goal is 1770 per day). For example, yesterday evening I ran 6 miles which added over 500 calories to my goal for the day.

I enjoy exercising and do some sort of exercise 5-6 days a week, but that is a very personal thing. If I didn't enjoy it, it wouldn't be sustainable.

I also try and hit at least 20% protein per day. I switched to vegetarian during this weight loss journey and initially was getting very minimal protein. Since increasing my protein consumption, I feel so much better.
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Me. I'm also quite short (5'3) which is why 50kg would be my ideal weight- but at 54 kg i am still happy. I aim to eat 1200 calories per day but I find that 1400 is enough to maintain my current weight. I also do intermittent fasting which helps a lot. In fact I think counting would be a lot harder if I ate breakfast as there would be more meals to count. By doing IF, I hardly even need to log because I only eat 1 big meal and a small supper per day. Hope that helps 😀
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I went from 139》118 over a summer but my experience is not typical. I'm 5'6" and a teacher, so I was tutoring 3x per week over the summer, not working full time. I ate about 1200 calories, and walked 4 miles 3x a week (ate back exercise calories). Mostly I got way better at not snacking when I wasn't at work and drank a lot of water. It helped to have fruit to snack on, also! Good luck! (I have since had a baby and gained way more weight, so hopefully I'll get back to 130ish soon, which is a more typical weight for me.)
  • Coffee_addict22
    Coffee_addict22 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    krazy1sbk wrote: »
    I went from 139》118 over a summer but my experience is not typical. I'm 5'6" and a teacher, so I was tutoring 3x per week over the summer, not working full time. I ate about 1200 calories, and walked 4 miles 3x a week (ate back exercise calories). Mostly I got way better at not snacking when I wasn't at work and drank a lot of water. It helped to have fruit to snack on, also! Good luck! (I have since had a baby and gained way more weight, so hopefully I'll get back to 130ish soon, which is a more typical weight for me.)

This is encouraging to hear! Every time I post about it. Everyone tells me I don’t need to lose weight. But for me, I’m happiest at 120-125. Just trying to get back there.