Can CI/CO eventually stop working? (Long)

2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    edited July 2019
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I have to update my profile every 10 lbs lost or so to see if my calorie allotment needs to be lowered. I think a lot of people forget to make this adjustment.

I’m not sure if we’re talking about the same thing but MFP automatically does this (so I thought?). I’ve seen my calories automatically change based on whatever weight I’ve entered (at least MFP did in the past). Unfortunately I don’t have much wiggle room to play with as far as reducing my calories even further.

And you don't need to reduce them.

A. your stall has not gone long enough and

B. you started on mfp 70 days ago and are down 20lbs!!!

Re B.

How much had you lost already the six months before joining MFP?

20lbs in 70 days? I'll let everyone explain why it would not be surprising to see a stall given this very aggressive loss rate... especially if it is coming on top of previous losses.

And to cover all angles... you're using a weight trend app or web site to gauge your progress?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I have to update my profile every 10 lbs lost or so to see if my calorie allotment needs to be lowered. I think a lot of people forget to make this adjustment.

I’m not sure if we’re talking about the same thing but MFP automatically does this (so I thought?). I’ve seen my calories automatically change based on whatever weight I’ve entered (at least MFP did in the past). Unfortunately I don’t have much wiggle room to play with as far as reducing my calories even further.

Maybe I updated the day it would have done that? Don't know but I'll watch for that. Thanks.
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    2 weeks is not enough time to know much. Plateaus are only established after 6+ weeks precisely because so many things influence your scale weight: poop, glycogen, water, bigger meals than usual, exercise... etc. The less you have to lose, the longer these flat periods can last. Women in particular see jumps during that TOM.

If you feel bloated and it's that time, you probably are holding a lot of water. You can try low carb for a bit to see if it helps the bloating, I hear keto-ers see a big initial drop due to water weight loss. You can try drinking more water too, see if that flushes it through.

Mostly though I'd say wait it out. See how you feel when Aunt Flo is gone.

Thank you for the insights ... I had no idea plateaus were a 6 week thing, and that gives me hope. I’m not due for my TOM for at least two weeks but I’ve been curious if being mid-cycle is playing into this somehow.

My weight plateaus for about 7-10 days during ovulation AND menstruation. I only see losses on the scale for maybe 5 days at a time, twice a month. It's incredibly annoying.
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member
    Mcwi3681 wrote: »
    Terytha wrote: »
    2 weeks is not enough time to know much. Plateaus are only established after 6+ weeks precisely because so many things influence your scale weight: poop, glycogen, water, bigger meals than usual, exercise... etc. The less you have to lose, the longer these flat periods can last. Women in particular see jumps during that TOM.

If you feel bloated and it's that time, you probably are holding a lot of water. You can try low carb for a bit to see if it helps the bloating, I hear keto-ers see a big initial drop due to water weight loss. You can try drinking more water too, see if that flushes it through.

Mostly though I'd say wait it out. See how you feel when Aunt Flo is gone.

Thank you for the insights ... I had no idea plateaus were a 6 week thing, and that gives me hope. I’m not due for my TOM for at least two weeks but I’ve been curious if being mid-cycle is playing into this somehow.

My weight plateaus for about 7-10 days during ovulation AND menstruation. I only see losses on the scale for maybe 5 days at a time, twice a month. It's incredibly annoying.

Thank you for sharing! This is actually really encouraging!
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »

And you don't need to reduce them.

A. your stall has not gone long enough and

B. you started on mfp 70 days ago and are down 20lbs!!!

Re B.

How much had you lost already the six months before joining MFP?

20lbs in 70 days? I'll let everyone explain why it would not be surprising to see a stall given this very aggressive loss rate... especially if it is coming on top of previous losses.

And to cover all angles... you're using a weight trend app or web site to gauge your progress?

I haven’t lost any weight prior to starting MFP this time around. I was pregnant and after giving birth stayed at 175lbs. I was well over a year postpartum at 175lbs. I wouldn’t say the full 20 is true “weight loss” because I lost at least 5lbs of water weight at the start. I don’t expect to lose 1.5lbs per week as I did before. My expectation is an average 0.5-1lb. I am still in a caloric deficit so to see a stall and then an increase is shocking and disheartening.

No I don’t weigh myself daily except for the past two weeks in hopes of seeing the scale move in a different direction. I weigh in only once per week. Thank you I will look into it. I didn’t know this was a thing!
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    The first time i lost 47 pounds, my loss was extremely consistent, a straight line down almost. This time, even when being consistent in my eating, I am the same weight for days, go up when I think I should go down, etc. What is helping me is using the Libra app to track my weight. It shows i am losing weight even when i feel like i am stuck by looking at my weight trend.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    CICO can definitely stop working...

...when you die.

Ok but what if you’re undead...like a zombie?

There are many types of undead. If you’re a vampire, your CI is obviously blood, and your CO is probably turning into a bat and looking for more blood. Let’s try to be inclusive of all undead beings.

Given a certain blood supply, vampires maintain a perfect energy balance effortlessly. More study is needed. Who want to help me write the research grant proposal?

That's a big assumption, though. What happens when there's a shortage of human blood--say, if you're a vampire in a rural area? Does the vampire then turn to animal blood, and if so, is it metabolized in the same way? I agree, we need a grant to study this.

Chupacabra
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Do vampires need to follow the Blood Type Diet? :)

No...they "Count" calories.

Hah ah ah ahhhh....

Funny Duck... ;)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,376 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

...when you die.

There are many types of undead. If you’re a vampire, your CI is obviously blood, and your CO is probably turning into a bat and looking for more blood. Let’s try to be inclusive of all undead beings.

Given a certain blood supply, vampires maintain a perfect energy balance effortlessly. More study is needed. Who want to help me write the research grant proposal?

That's a big assumption, though. What happens when there's a shortage of human blood--say, if you're a vampire in a rural area? Does the vampire then turn to animal blood, and if so, is it metabolized in the same way? I agree, we need a grant to study this.

Chupacabra

I’m skeptical that chupacabra metabolism is similar to vampires. We should probably assume that vampires are somewhat similar to humans, although their biology is of course heavily modified.

My husband and I discussed this yesterday. We believe that vampires probably pee a lot, since they’re effectively on liquid diets. However, they do appear to be maintaining their weight. We don’t usually see obese vampires.

Zombies, meanwhile, appear to be losing weight on average. They get more skeletal over time. Human brains are about 60% fat, so they’re presumably calorie dense. My hypothesis is that most zombies are poor hunters who don’t get enough brains to meet their caloric needs.

Someone actually looked into this! https://io9.gizmodo.com/do-vampires-pee-an-investigative-study-460974362
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    SueSueDio wrote: »

...when you die.

Do vampires need to follow the Blood Type Diet? :)

No...they "Count" calories.

Where's the groaning eye rolling smiley..... 😩