How this app helped uu

A new one in this community..loved the app
..how it has helped uu in getting healthy do share

Replies

• LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    It's really keeping me motivated, along with these forums. I love it. It's got me cooking again, and excited about it.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    MFP has given me the tools and insight I need to lose weight and get healthier. I'm now dedicated, disciplined and motivated to do this the right way. No magic pills or potions involved.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    For me, logging my food provided accountability.
    I was way less likely to engage in mindless, bored eating if I knew I had to log it.

Also, it was a wake-up call as far as the calorie counts of certain foods. I decided really quickly which foods I didn't like enough to be worth the calories.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I've been here since 2011. It helped me lose some extra weight that I had picked up going into middle age, and it's helped me maintain at my ideal weight ever since. MFP just makes it super easy to keep myself in line. B)
  • jim_pipkin
    jim_pipkin Posts: 82 Member
    Very useful tool. Over the past ten months it has been a great source of information, and just recently in the forum I have learned even more. Great app and very supportive community!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    When I first started using MFP I had already been losing for over a month. I wasn't weighing daily during that time. I weighed my first time at 6 weeks and I had lost 27 pounds. While a fair amount of that would have been water weight I was losing too fast even for as heavy as I started my first month. I was in a honeymoon phase though and just didn't eat that much. No harm done but I am glad I started having proper numbers to guide myself for the long term management that has happened since then.

If I were to estimate I would say that when I started I had 70 percent of the right ideas and 30 percent of what this forum calls woo. It wasn't enough to hold me back but those old notions were not helping me either. Much of it was very common things that most of us have heard off and on forever like avoiding white food and simple carbs. I remember first hearing why I should pick complex carbs from an 'expert' on the radio in the 80's. I didn't question it because it sounded plausible.

Anyway I quickly learned from the responses to other people who thought the same thing that I was mistaken about a number of things.

MFP though is only a tool. The level at which it helps is up to the person using it. If a person is ready to change their life and calorie counting is a sustainable path MFP can help. If they are not MFP won't do squat.