Designer Protein(R) Instructions

Options
zamphir66
zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
On a whim, I bought some unfamiliar protein powder. It was a bit pricier, fancier packaging, etc. Then I see this on the carton: "Add 2 scoops to 8 oz of your favorite non-dairy beverage" (my emphasis).

OK, so is something bad going to happen if I mix this with milk, yogurt, kefir? Will it explode?

Also, milk/yogurt/kefir (i.e., dairy) is pretty much the only thing I can mix protein powder into and make it reasonably palatable.

Update: I tried making my usual smoothie. This stuff is awful. I'll stick with Body Fortress.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    On a whim, I bought some unfamiliar protein powder. It was a bit pricier, fancier packaging, etc. Then I see this on the carton: "Add 2 scoops to 8 oz of your favorite non-dairy beverage" (my emphasis).

OK, so is something bad going to happen if I mix this with milk, yogurt, kefir? Will it explode?

Also, milk/yogurt/kefir (i.e., dairy) is pretty much the only thing I can mix protein powder into and make it reasonably palatable.

Update: I tried making my usual smoothie. This stuff is awful. I'll stick with Body Fortress.

Is it a plant-based protein? If so, they probably assumed if you were willing/able to drink dairy you would be using whey protein, so they tailored the instructions to the products target audience.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Is it a plant-based protein? If so, they probably assumed if you were willing/able to drink dairy you would be using whey protein, so they tailored the instructions to the products target audience.

Yes, duh, that makes sense.

But that still leaves me wondering: What do people put their powders into, if not dairy? I can't imagine anything else. Water? Is that not like drinking mud?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yes, duh, that makes sense.

But that still leaves me wondering: What do people put their powders into, if not dairy? I can't imagine anything else. Water? Is that not like drinking mud?

Milk replacements, like almond, cashew, soy, or coconut milk. You can put vanilla in fruit juice. I use Trutein, and I do put it in water sometimes. I mean, whey protein is similar to powdered milk, so mixing it with water is kind of like reconstituting it. It's creamier in milk, but if I'm not hungry I might not need the extra cals and fat.

I on the other hand, have a hard time imagining putting protein powder in yogurt or kefir. They are already plenty thick for my taste, and I would think adding protein powder to them would make them like spackle :lol: Different strokes...
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I use water. Nothing like mud. Perhaps you aren't using enough water? My shake, in an average shaker bottle has about 500ml of water. Plenty for adequate mixing.

Also second that this specific instruction is usually used on products marketed to people on a plant based diet.