Post Morning Workout

Options
Lost 10lbs through dieting. I am slowly introducing exercise (2 x a week). In the past, I use to get uncontrollably hungry after a WO and would end up eating way more than I burned. Trying to prevent my previous mistakes but it is hard to beat the hunger. I Workout early in the morning and nothing too intense (15 minute jog w/ 30-45 minutes of weight lifting so maybe 200 calorie burn). I have been eating two eggs after than maybe a mid-morning snack of a pear. However where I used to not need a snack, I now find even w/ the snack I can't even make it to 12 for lunch (so hungry!!!). I am sure it also isn't helping that I am waking up almost an hour and half earlier than I used to. Currently eat around 1400-1500 calories a day. I've been averaging a loss of .5-1lb depending on how good I am that week. I am planning to stay w/ the same daily calorie goal even w/ the work out since I am not exactly great at staying w/in my goal especially on the weekends...

Sooo w/ all that said... I am looking for recommendations for breakfast or even techniques to fight the food cravings. I usually try to stick to ~300 calories for breakfast/mid-morning snacks total. Should I front load my food more and put more calories towards breakfast and less for dinner?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Are male or female? Your age, height, weight now and your weight goal?
  • 8TWOmuch
    8TWOmuch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I got real hooked on light Rye toast with a smooshed (1/2) avocado on it. Sometimes I’ll also add a tomato or cucumber slice for substance and always a little bit of salt and pepper. I noticed that I stayed fuller longer with healthy fats than with protein, like eggs, in the morning... especially with a workout in there.

Figure out what works for your body, and stick with it.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    of course you need a snack - you expended a bunch of calories AND have to rebuild your muscles. what that snack should be is the question.

i always have protein after a workout - a protein drink, protein bar, 96 grams of scrambled egg whites, cottage cheese, yogurt or something of that nature. after all, your body need protein to repair the muscles. many bodybuilders eat protein snacks between meals to help build muscle AND keep from getting hungry. in fact, many eat 5 to 6 smaller meals each day rather than any large meals.

light toast with avocado sounds yummy and good. one could add a slice of low fat cheese to that for more protein, but i love avocado.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I think everyone is going to be different. I generally am not overly hungry in the morning (also workout before work), but do get fairly hungry come lunch. I tend to take an earlier lunch due to that, and eat about 1/3 or so of my daily calories (I like a nice, full meal, but do have creamer in my coffee in the mornings which gives me ~150 calories) and then finish it off at dinner.

For me, afternoons are actually harder than mornings. I'm typically wishing it was dinner time by 2:30/3, and unless I want (what I consider to be) a pathetically tiny dinner, I choose not to eat a snack unless I'm VERY hungry.

That being said, I also know that my hunger ques are not accurate - doesn't make me any less hungry, but if I've eaten, I know they are just wrong. It's a daily struggle for me that I just have to deal with if I'm going to reach my goals. The longer I stick to it, the easier it gets as I eventually start to get used to the hungry feelings in the afternoon - doesn't eliminate the feeling, but after awhile I get more used to it.

A good macro breakdown helps me feel full longer - protein is pretty important in that equation for me. I notice on days when I'm higher in carbs I get hungrier a lot quicker even if my calories were higher than normal.
  • mwoltermann
    mwoltermann Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Female. Weight 135, 5’3, goal 125-130
  • mwoltermann
    mwoltermann Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Always learning what works best.