Will I stop having cankles?

Options
Everyone's before and after photos tend to cut off their ankles and feet so it's hard to tell if there's a trend. I have cankles and I'm dying to know if I'll ever be able to wear a dress! So, success story people, if you were obese and had cankles, did they improve when you got to a healthy weight?

Replies

• Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I’d love to know this. I have always worn DM’s rather than heels in the past and have low calf muscles. Along with that I carry most of my weight on my bottom half and get swollen ankles at the first sight of sun or if flying.
    A colleague told me that chunky ankles / swollen ankles tends to be a genetic thing so I suspect that even if I get to an ideal weight, yes I’ll lose weight all over in general, but I’ll still have ankles that look out of proportion to the rest of me boooooo!!!!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Can't help you because I'm pretty much the opposite. Even at my heaviest weight, my calves and ankles were always shapely! My butt and thighs, however. . . . .
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I was a bit heavier a few years back and I got swollen ankles frequently. I've lost weight (BMI is now 20) and started jogging and they seem to have gone away completely. My blood pressure has also gone down, which is apparently related. So, losing weight and exercising does help!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    My cankles have improved! It was more than I didn't lose much weight in my calves but did in my ankles. I actually like my legs now because they are much more shapely and less cankle-y. I'm sure it depends on the person, but I did have success with losing the cankles. I don't have any before-and-after pictures, unfortunately, as mine all cut off at the ankle too, lol.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I was a bit heavier a few years back and I got swollen ankles frequently. I've lost weight (BMI is now 20) and started jogging and they seem to have gone away completely. My blood pressure has also gone down, which is apparently related. So, losing weight and exercising does help!

same with me. I had swollen ankles and feet all the time when I was obese. they hurt bad and itched too because of the swollenness. It's such a relief in pain and to see my real ankles again and have normal looking feet!
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I swear my first 20 pounds of weight loss was in my feet and ankle. I dropped half a shoe size and my ankles and feet, of course, look smaller.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I had seriously swollen ankles - my doc told me it was Lymphedema and I started wearing compression stockings. They helped immensely - even before I lost weight. Now I wear compression pantyhose - because they don't leave a ring around my knee...and I have pretty normal sized ankles. Alas, as a super-morbidly obese person I didn't even take pictures, much less ones that showed my feet.

I do, however, have a poor photo of my feet - because I was so amazed at how normal-sized they were...

Compression stockings will help - if you aren't just genetically programmed to have thick ankles.

c3rvu7qd0uez.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!