Salad Help?

Emme871
Emme871 Posts: 7 Member
edited August 2019 in Food and Nutrition
This may belong in recipes- I'm not sure. I'm currently on a 3 week diet plan where they tell you to have a salad with 3 toppings out of these choices (fruits, nuts, chickpeas, lentils, quinoa, tomato, cucumber, avocado, carrots lean protein.) I've quickly realized I have no idea how to put flavors together and all of mine end up having weird conflicting flavors or textures that I hate. If anyone has any salad ideas out of these ingredients it would be a HUGE help to me if you'd list below!!

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    My favorite is mango, avocado, and a protein. I've done it with shrimp, "crab" chunks, and roasted tofu. Usually serve with romaine or butter lettuce. The dressing is just olive oil and lime juice.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I eat carrot cucumber lettuce and protein such as chicken or tuna or sardines every single day for first lunch. Usually sardines coz I love them. I dress with balsamic vinegar. and himalayan salt. sometimes I put nutritional yeast on it too, or add a spoonful of hummus for a more creamy consistency.

The lettuce bulks it out more for minimal calories so I add lettuce when I need to feel like i'm eating a lot.

Also works with prawns at the protein.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    This is my favourite salad combination resource.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Our taste buds are all so different. I would say just keep trying combinations but only a few at a time. You should try switching up dressings, too.

Try a variety of lettuces, greens and tomatoes. I don't like chickpeas in salads but love kidney beans. Baked chicken goes well, as does shrimp. I like honey roasted sliced almonds, blueberries and grapes.

Salads can be a celebration of flavors and textures. Have fun experimenting.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    (fruits, nuts, chickpeas, lentils, quinoa, tomato, cucumber, avocado, carrots lean protein.)
    Personally, I don't like fruit in salad, so I'd skip that (but that's just me.)

First, I'd shred the carrots (or buy them pre-shredded) and toss those in with whatever your base is (e.g., lettuce, spinach, napa cabbage, kale). Then, they don't dominate but you get the color and nutrients.

When what's left, I'd do:
    * chickpeas, tomato, and cucumber with vidalia onion and some basalmic vinegar
    * lentils and cashews with avocado with something like thousand island or ranch (or, since I'm vegan, a soy-based version of one of these); or
    * peanut butter and lentils with soy sauce, ginger and garlic paste, and curry powder to make a spicy Asian satay slaw. I'd use napa cabbage or bok choy as my base. [This, by the way is my all-time favorite salads!]

I also make a protein-rich vegan salad dressing by pureeing a can of chickpeas (drained), a package of silken tofu (that's your lean protein), a large cucumber, and a whole heck of a lot of garlic and a dash of soy sauce. Whip that up in a blender for a riata-like summer dressing that's great over spinach or a combo of lettuce and tomato
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    4 oz seared Ahi Tuna filet. 120 calories 27g protein.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    My current favorite is feta, avocado, nuts, and picked beets.
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    I basically eat salads everyday twice a day. To not get bored I rotate things in and out. So the base is two leafy greens" Lettuce, kale, arugula, moringa. Then two of these also rotate in and out together: beets, cucumbers and carrots, avocado & radishes. Then two fruits: cherries, mangoes, or whatever is in season. Toss in whatever protein is available. Dressing is whatever is on hand.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I would pick fruits, nuts, cucumbers, carrots, grilled boneless skinless chicken breast if it were me. I don’t care for the other items.

OP, just wondering what kind of plan it is? I pretty much put whatever ingredients I like in my salad. Depends on personal preference, and tastes, I would think.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    I eat salads at least once a day and I would go crazy within those limits.

Yesterday’s salad was lettuce, spinach, carrots, cherry tomatoes, radishes, a quarter pound of chopped boiled shrimp, pepitas, a big helping of feta cheese, Bare freeze dried apple chips, and a good dose of raspberry balsamic vinegar. (I sing its praises on MFP- practically no calories, bursting with bright flavor, and works as a salad dressing, over I ce cream or cottage cheese or fruit, or as a marinade). The whole giant Pyrex mixing bowl sized salad came to about 350 calories

Today’s variation has strawberries and bacon, and should be fairly close.

It’s a very generous sized lunch, and delish!!!

Three ingredients my *kitten*. No fricking way!!!! Life is too short to suffer bad salads.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    283. I stand corrected. The “garden salad” entry is from “my recipes” and includes the daily lettuce, spinach, carrots, tomatoes and radishes so I can hit them as one easy entry.

s811t7gy06rq.jpeg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    "A Waldorf salad is a fruit and nut salad generally made of fresh celery, apples, walnuts, and grapes, dressed in mayonnaise, and traditionally served on a bed of lettuce as an appetizer or a light meal."

I add chicken as well.

Between the nuts and the mayonnaise it's not especially low calorie though.

Leave out the mayo and you have an entirely different (inferior) salad.
  • Emme871
    Emme871 Posts: 7 Member
    I would pick fruits, nuts, cucumbers, carrots, grilled boneless skinless chicken breast if it were me. I don’t care for the other items.

OP, just wondering what kind of plan it is? I pretty much put whatever ingredients I like in my salad. Depends on personal preference, and tastes, I would think.
    It’s Taylor Andrews on instas final three week meltdown!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Check out the "for the love of produce" thread for some amazing salad combos. I've found avocado and slices of blood orange are amazing together.
  • wsusan162
    wsusan162 Posts: 58 Member
    Strawberry and walnuts with balsamic vinegar on a bed of spring mix or spinach is really good.