The Need to Praise Workers

Options
2»

Replies

• Susan3758
    Susan3758 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    phred_52 wrote: »
    As one who has many awards from My time in Military, which mean Nada to Me...I just don't get this heaping praise on workers. Even the Navy sent message saying it was something needing to be done. Nuts.

As a current Great NFL Coach says: Just do Your Job

If Ya need praise then go see...nevermind :) , I'll be nice.

I praise you for your input. Oops sorry I mean I don't praise you🤔
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    phred_52 wrote: »
    As one who has many awards from My time in Military, which mean Nada to Me...I just don't get this heaping praise on workers. Even the Navy sent message saying it was something needing to be done. Nuts.

As a current Great NFL Coach says: Just do Your Job

If Ya need praise then go see...nevermind :) , I'll be nice.

I think the idea is positive reinforcement kinda thing.

He was in the navy so for him that probably means when the other ships back him up??

• poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    @Danw586 I'd work for you any time! You sound like a good boss. @FeelinFooFoo ... you said exactly what I was thinking, positive feedback is priceless!
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I teach and have students who crave recognition all the time...but it means nothing if I’m praising them for doing what they were supposed to do, like homework. I reserve it for extremely limited times when they go above and beyond or work hard for dramatic improvement on a big test. It means a lot more this way as they know I’m extremely limited on praises.
  • Danw586
    Danw586 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    lg013 wrote: »
    I teach and have students who crave recognition all the time...but it means nothing if I’m praising them for doing what they were supposed to do, like homework. I reserve it for extremely limited times when they go above and beyond or work hard for dramatic improvement on a big test. It means a lot more this way as they know I’m extremely limited on praises.

You bring up a good point. There is a threshold where one can offer too much praise for the validation seeking millennials. Better to be a little more selective with praise so that it is better appreciated.
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Recognizing a hard working employee’s efforts and showing appreciation will make them want to continue to do a good job. A person shouldn’t need constant praise to do their job but occasionally it is nice.

In my field, I deal with sick people and people in pain or dying. It is usually a thankless job full of complaints. I can be running around like crazy, haven’t eaten in 9 hours, no formal break, no bathroom break because I’m trying to save a life and someone will complain they have been waiting a whole 3 hours for something trivial.

But those one out of 20 people who are thankful and express gratitude makes it all worth it.

qgtus0n5pkue.gif

You are so dreamy 😊
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    I like money. And to be left alone most of the time.

But if most employees like praise it seems like it would be a lot cheaper for the employer to use a little codified backpatting than giving raises.
  • Danw586
    Danw586 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like money. And to be left alone most of the time.

But if most employees like praise it seems like it would be a lot cheaper for the employer to use a little codified backpatting than giving raises.

Bingo