Struggling to lower BF%

Options
Hi, I originally posted this in the general section but think I might be better off here...

I'm beginning to get frustrated with my slow progress so thought I would ask for some advice.

I'm 29, 5ft 8 and currently 145lbs. I started this week at 143lbs so have somehow gained 2lbs in 5 days despite eating well and training for 1.5 hrs a day 5/6 times per week. Over the past month I would say I have lost and gained the same few lbs.

I hate cardio and love lifting so my training is as follows (3 days on then a rest day etc):

Back/Biceps - 8 exercises, 3 sets of 12 reps (or to failure)
Chest/Triceps - as above
Shoulders - 4/5 exercises, 3 sets of 12 reps (or to failure)

Before anyone says i'm skipping leg day I have had 5 knee surgeries so can't do legs!

I also do 20 minutes on the cross trainer about 4/5 times per week and 15 minutes of core work most sessions.

My calorie goal is 1850 and macros are set at 30% protein, 50% carb and 20% fat. This is based on BMR - 20% which is 2017 calories but i've taken it down a little bit to account for under-estimating etc. I have 2 Maximuslce Promax Lean shakes a day but no other supplements.

My main question is why are the scales not going down? I workout hard and eat pretty clean (I do have a cheat meal once a week) so i'm getting prety frustrated.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring yourself?

Weight is no clear indicator of BF% Measuring yourself is a better indicator of progress
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    First thing that comes to mind..

Stop the cheat meal

Stop eating clean.

What foods you eat has NO effect on fat loss.

Calories in vs calories out.

You don't NEED a cheat meal if you just eat foods you want to, cheat meals can set people back and there is NO point to them.

If your weight hasn't gone down in 3-4 weeks (yes, give it that long) drop calories slightly until it does.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you are approaching this correctly:
    Use diet to control your weight.
    Do cardio for the overall health benefits, to get faster, or to help with cals in/cals out if your diet isn't what it should be.
    Lift to get stronger and change the way you look.
    Progress should be slow.

Next:
    If you aren't losing weight, chances are your cals in are > or = your cals out. Cut cals by 10% for a month and see what happens. Your macros are pretty reasonable, so if you are happy with them and can stick to that, I think you're probably fine.

Cheat meals are tough. It means something different to everyone, and the scope of the "cheat" varies. I'd look pretty closely at this and make sure that, even with a cheat meal, you are still at or below your calorie goal for the week.

Last:
    Taking your post at face value, I'd change up your workout routine. I'd lift full body 2-3x week. I'd increase weight and decrease reps. Your routine isn't bad, and there's no harm in keeping it. But if you are frustrated with progress regarding BF, changing this could help.
  • Stasha83
    Stasha83 Posts: 39
    Options
    I had my BF tested last month and it was at 21% which is higher than I would like, I'm aiming for around 17/18%.

The problem is if I eat the foods I want to I would just eat crap, that's why I have to try and be strict and then allow myself the one cheat meal.

I'm eating 1850 calories and then burning around 350-500 per session so I should I be losing surely?
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I had my BF tested last month and it was at 21% which is higher than I would like, I'm aiming for around 17/18%.

The problem is if I eat the foods I want to I would just eat crap, that's why I have to try and be strict and then allow myself the one cheat meal.

I'm eating 1850 calories and then burning around 350-500 per session so I should I be losing surely?

What do you define as "crap"?

I can lose bodyfat eating McDonalds, I can lose bodyfat eating "clean". It makes no difference in the way your body looks if you hit your calories/macro numbers.
  • AccioHotBod
    AccioHotBod Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, I originally posted this in the general section but think I might be better off here...

I'm beginning to get frustrated with my slow progress so thought I would ask for some advice.

I'm 29, 5ft 8 and currently 145lbs. I started this week at 143lbs so have somehow gained 2lbs in 5 days despite eating well and training for 1.5 hrs a day 5/6 times per week. Over the past month I would say I have lost and gained the same few lbs.

I hate cardio and love lifting so my training is as follows (3 days on then a rest day etc):

Back/Biceps - 8 exercises, 3 sets of 12 reps (or to failure)
    Chest/Triceps - as above
    Shoulders - 4/5 exercises, 3 sets of 12 reps (or to failure)

Before anyone says i'm skipping leg day I have had 5 knee surgeries so can't do legs!

I also do 20 minutes on the cross trainer about 4/5 times per week and 15 minutes of core work most sessions.

My calorie goal is 1850 and macros are set at 30% protein, 50% carb and 20% fat. This is based on BMR - 20% which is 2017 calories but i've taken it down a little bit to account for under-estimating etc. I have 2 Maximuslce Promax Lean shakes a day but no other supplements.

My main question is why are the scales not going down? I workout hard and eat pretty clean (I do have a cheat meal once a week) so i'm getting prety frustrated.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Did you mean TDEE-20%? Just want to make sure, because if it's BMR then maybe you're undereating? I'm no expert, just throwing that out there and hopefully the fit people can answer because if it's not TDEE-20% then I'm doing it wrong!
  • Stasha83
    Options
    Sorry, yes TDEE - 20% based on Scooby Calculator.

Crap like cake, pizza and other junk! I think i'd struggle to hit my macros eating that.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Crap like cake, pizza and other junk! I think i'd struggle to hit my macros eating that.

So instead of having a cheat meal, you fit one or two of these foods into your meals daily?

I eat Ice Cream, chocolate, anything I want, each day, but I always hit my macros due to a balanced diet.

A cheat meal has no purpose.
  • Stasha83
    Options
    Ok, I get what you're saying, so like a 250 calorie chocolate bar each day instead of one blowout each week. I could certainly give that a try.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

So instead of having a cheat meal, you fit one or two of these foods into your meals daily?

Yes, this is the ideal you should be trying for. Rather than eliminating foods, find ways to balance them into your daily diet. Yes, mcdonalds for lunch, pizza for dinner, and cake for dessert will make it hard to hit your macros. But one of those things in any given day is certainly doable. I routinely have ice cream (makes awesome protein shakes) and pizza... just gotta be smart about it.

Yes, it's certainly easier said than done though.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Ok, I get what you're saying, so like a 250 calorie chocolate bar each day instead of one blowout each week. I could certainly give that a try.

Well yeah, for example (obviously I am allowed more calories than you, due to goals but..)

If I have to hit 350g carbs on a day, it's actually tough to get 350g carbs from all what people would call "Clean Food" due to my fiber going too high etc..

so I can fill those carbs with pop tarts, ice cream etc..

You can eat ANY foods you want, at any time, just hitting macros is what counts, if you can fit in two/three chocolate bars go ahead, there isn't a limit.

People will always talk about "health" but lets be honest, people aren't here for "health" (the majority) and a BALANCE of foods is what keeps us sane and helps us progress.
  • Stasha83
    Options
    I'm going to give it a try, thank you for the advice.

I like the idea of being able to have a little bit of something nice each day rather than counting down the days to my next cheat meal, I'm normally dreaming about it the day before so I get pretty desperate!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I'm going to give it a try, thank you for the advice.

I like the idea of being able to have a little bit of something nice each day rather than counting down the days to my next cheat meal, I'm normally dreaming about it the day before so I get pretty desperate!

Sounds like this is going to do you the world of good then :)

If you want anymore advice feel free to add me/post back here!
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    21% BF is actually not bad. Im at 23% and weigh 135. When I was doing lots of resistance training my BF was going down at a pretty good rate.

My goal is to get to 20% but I would be happy with 21%.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    At your level, squeaking out the remaining level of BF% reduction is going to be slow & tedious. be patient.

I eat Ice Cream, chocolate, anything I want, each day, but I always hit my macros due to a balanced diet.

A cheat meal has no purpose.

I agree with a lot of this advice. While I despise the term IIFYM, because I feel too often people use it in a way it's not intended, the above practice is very sound IMO. I keep my diet as "clean" as possible with real, whole foods because I know it's extremely difficult to over eat that way, and when the time comes to have a bowl of ice cream or a milk shake or wings & beers with my friends I don't hesitate or think twice, because all of my other food is good. While the thought of going back to eating fast food & other junk is still a bit unsettling, I have no problems slamming down some quality ice cream or good home made desserts.