Grunting in the gym

Options
Some people hate grunting in the gym. I don't. As long as it's not excessive, it's simply a sign that the person in question is working hard.

http://blog.anytimefitness.com/grunting-exercising-can-actually-helpful/

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    If it bothersome to you may I suggest listening to music. It's rather motivating too!
    :)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that it's perfectly acceptable provided the level of effort requires it. There's no acceptable or unacceptable to be taken into the equation. If the level of effort I'm expending requires a grunt, I'm going to grunt... and everyone around can deal.

I agree. There's just no stopping it at a certain level of effort.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have often heard people say that grunting should be banned, that grunters should be publicly shamed, and so forth. Thankfully, you folks get it.

I remember when the guys at one of my gyms were cheering on a guy who was grunting toward the end of his bench press set. Those guys know what matters.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I have often heard people say that grunting should be banned, that grunters should be publicly shamed, and so forth. Thankfully, you folks get it.

I remember when the guys at one of my gyms were cheering on a guy who was grunting toward the end of his bench press set. Those guys know what matters.

There were a couple of guys at my gym years ago - every lift was celebrated with a Ric Flair (the wrestler) type "WOOOO!!!"

I think ALL of us wanted to drop heavy weights on them, but grunting, even a loud grunt depending on effort...it's a gym ya know? Guys and Gals picking up heavy stuff and all...maybe the peeps wanting to ban it need to go to Planet fitness or the like.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    There's always Planet Fitness for those people who are bothered by it...

Yeah. This is what they're like.

Also this.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky, I'm too busy there to care what other people do.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hearing grunting is easier than hearing those dropping weights on floor
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    A grunt, noise, whatever when you're making a heavy lift or at the last couple reps and feeling about maxed out - fine, no problem, go for it!

Grunting with every single rep and obnoxiously loud the entire time - it's just attention seeking IMO and I will think that of you if that's what you do.

That being said, to each their own. I may judge you, but reality is, do "you" really GAF if I do? Probably not, so do your thing.