Anyone go or been to a UFC gym?

fastfoodietofitcutie
fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 522 Member
edited August 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I have quite a bit of weight to lose and was looking for some personal training. I know if I go to a big box gym they will just throw me on a treadmill. Was thinking about doing CrossFit or some boxing. I would want a trainer to go at my own pace as I couldn’t keep up with a class. I also have terrible plantar fasciitis so something with a lot of walking isn’t going to be good for me.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about a UFC gym. Perhaps my best bet would be to forget UFC and swim for a while. I wish I could find a gym that offers everything but so far no luck so I need to choose.

Replies

• tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    The UFC Gym is awesome, but it is expensive and for someone who has bad Plantar Fasciitis and wants to work at their own pace, it may not be the place for you.
    I think the cheapest membership is around 75 bucks. And that's fitness only. Unlimited Fitness and Martial arts is around 150.

Crossfit might also be tough with Plantar Fasciitis. They will tailor the workout for your limitations, but ultimately, box jumps, tuck jumps, burpees and other impact exercises are a big part of the Crossfit method.

I used to go to a very, very well equipped gym for $10/month in Florida, called Fitness for 10.
    If You've got the will, there's always a way.

Which brings me to the real question.
    What is your goal?
    We know you have quite a bit of weight to take off, but what is your goal.

What are you currently doing that's different than before?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    That does sound like a lot of different limitations that don't really fit well with most fighting/martial arts sports as they are primarily footwork. A personal trainer at a regular gym sounds like a better option. They shouldn't just "throw you on a treadmill". You should find a trainer who can work with you to set up a plan that focuses on your goals and is personally achievable.

Swimming also could be a good option.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I have been to a UFC gym and they can vary in size and what they offer. I thought they were fairly priced for what you get. That probably depends on location as well. I would check out the one in your area. Some offer small group training as well as their boxing, cycle, or fitness classes. Another option would be Groupon or Classpass so you can experiment with some different options.