Question on tracking exercise and wearing a Fitbit

Options
Hi all. I was wondering if I should actually log my exercise into MFP, even though I’m wearing a Fitbit and using the workout feature on the device. The reason I’m asking is because it appears that it’s double tracking the working on my Fitbit dashboard. It threw me for a second when I saw it.
Thanks.

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    No, if Fitbit is synched, there is no reason to log your workout to MFP.

If your daily activity results in an adjustment larger than what you logged for your workout, the adjustment will be decreased to prevent double-dipping, and you might wonder why you only got 200 calories for 16,000 steps when yesterday (no workout) you got a 700 calorie adjustment for only 14,000! This effect is more noticeable the more exaggerated the logged workout is.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    I am of the group that Fitbit does the tracking for me and reports to MFP. Also, if I track myself, I will over estimate every time. I feel the Fitbit is more accurate.

The one exception I will make is for watersports. My Fitbit is not waterproof, so I will log something for swimming, etc.

I believe you are correct about your Fitbit dashboard. It will also mess up the true calorie burn here, too.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    sherrygee3 wrote: »
    Hi all. I was wondering if I should actually log my exercise into MFP, even though I’m wearing a Fitbit and using the workout feature on the device. The reason I’m asking is because it appears that it’s double tracking the working on my Fitbit dashboard. It threw me for a second when I saw it.
    Thanks.

Be aware that on Fitbit you can have Activity Records and Workout Records.

Activity Record is what you get when you push the button to start a workout, or it auto-decides there is one, or even a sleep record for that matter.
    It's basically a snapshot of your daily stats during that chunk of time.

A Workout Record can then be manually added, or synced in, that has some stats, at least usually calories, and that will replace for the stated chunk of time that info in your daily stats.

So you could have an AR sitting there with what Fitbit originally came up with for a workout.
    And then have a WR that replaced those values in your daily stats.
    But the AR is still a snapshot of what used to be.

Fitbit is a replace only system - you could keep creating WR's, and then AR's to view those stats, another WR, ect, and the daily values (calories, maybe distance, maybe steps) will correctly reflect only the lastest update.

Unless they are having an issue, and I've never seen that type of issue.

I've seen accidental multiple syncs in of say MFP workouts - but the latest always replaced the prior - no doubling up.

Oh - an AR you can edit, change description, add notes, but the stats are set.
    A WR you can delete, maybe edit the distance, time - depending on how it got there.

And ditto to no logging on MFP - just created extra syncs and opportunity for issues.
    If you need your friends list to see you did a workout - just make a wall post with more inspiring details about it.
  • sherrygee3
    sherrygee3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Go it, thank you all for your responses! I’ll let Fitbit do it’s thing and sync my workout with MFP. I appreciate all the help navigating this issue.