Juicing

Options
Does anyone use a juicer to help with getting there nutrients. And would you recommend it.

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Personally no. I did have one, a very good one, but I found it took too much fruit so was too expensive compared to buying a carton of juice and juiced veg made me nauseous. You can get all your nutrients in without juice you just need a varied diet.

I gave it to a friend and they ended up giving it to someone else so I think for some of us Juicing is a bit of a novelty.

These days I just eat my fruit that way I get the fibre as well.

However I am sure a lot of people love their juicers.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    There’s a MFP blog just posted about juice vs whole fruits & vegetables. Check it out.

I personally don’t drink any juice. Just coffee , water (we have a Britta water filter), and occasional sugar free beverages. You get more fiber with the whole fruit/ vegetables. Besides, I’d rather chew my food than drink it, it’s more satisfying to me.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    The only time I've tried this was in prep for a colonoscopy. I was miserable and ravenous the whole time. Definitely not something I'd do of my own free will.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I used to juice but it gave me headaches.

I did find "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead" inspirational, but knew I didn't want to juice again, so started using my food processor to make smoothies. This way I keep all the fiber. I also add protein and fat, so I have a balanced meal.

3i9zqnkjtbo1.jpg
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of juicing when my gastroparesis symptoms were at there worst and I couldn’t have solid food at all. It’s an expensive and labor intensive way to get nutrients. It takes probably 1 stuffed-full grocery bag of produce to make a pint jar of juice. All that produce has to be cleaned, prepped, and cut to the size of the feeder on your juicer. You clean pulp out of the basket frequently and have to figure out how and where to dispose of pounds and pounds of leftover pulp. There are lots of recipes on the web for ways to reuse the pulp, because juicing leaves so much waste behind.

Juicing was (literally) a lifesaver for me at the time, but not worth the work or cost for what you end up with now that I’m healthier.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I tried it for awhile.

Found it expensive (all the fruit/veggies that I had to buy), wasteful (all that fiber that got thrown out rather than eaten) and too much trouble to clean.

Dumped it in a Goodwill bin and never regretted it.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My wife used to juice. It was outrageously expensive and wasteful. We had many heated conversations about pros and cons, and finally i was able to convince her to stop. Juicer, no matter how great and expensive it is, cannot possibly extract every last usable nutrient, vitamin and mineral out of a big batch of produce you will stick into it to make a decent glass of juice. So some of it will get dumped and all of the fiber too, of course. I think it's only benefitting people who can't for some health reason eat regular food or even drink smoothies. Someone with food absorbtion issues, or not being able to keep anything solid down. Like some cancer patients in latest stages, or someone with digestive disorders, like @COGipsy . So ours was gifted to a friend who is a cancer survivor and we use Vitamix and both love it. Not wasting produce anymore.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I follow a cycling forum. A thread with this title over there would mean something else entirely!