Trulicity vs. Ozempic for diabetes

Options
I am diabetic and take Metformin along with Trulicity. My dietitian wants me to try Ozempic weekly injections instead of Trulicity. I have lost 20 pounds since February, but my weight stalled in July and my doctor and dietitian want to see me continue to lose weight. I took a 2-week diet break in July and I believe I am still on track towards losing weight, although they are not as confident. The Ozempic is supposed to help with appetite suppression. My main focus is that Ozempic does as good a job as Trulicity at helping to regulate blood sugar. Any experience or thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I am a type 1 adult onset diabetic. I was on insulin and, at one point, was also on an injection for leptin resistance. I'm off both now.

Just got bloodwork this week and my endocrinologist and GP are thrilled. Changing my foods and losing weight has worked wonders for me.

Hope you get the same. Good luck!
  • chocolatecoffeecats
    Options
    Hi, PJ;
    I am taking Metformin as well and I have been on Ozempic for about 3 months now. I hadn't heard of the weekly injection meds until my doctor prescribed it. I can't believe the difference it has made!

I'm losing weight for a surgery and am dieting to do so. I've been on diets for most of my life (I'm 55) and this is the first time I've heard a doctor say things like, "you need to eat more calories" and "you'll feel better if you have more carbs." I have never not wanted to eat before. Never! I would be planning my next snack as soon I as finished my meal. Bread and cookies were my crack.

The cherry on the cake (that I don't want to have now ;) ) is that my blood sugars have stablized and it happened very quickly, in about 2 weeks. I went from wild fluctuations of 11 -14 to eventually, 4's and 5's. Incredible.

Of course, everyone is different and you won't know how your body will react until you try it but I would definitely recommend doing so if you have the opportunity. Good luck!