Really trying to use MFP but....

doozer12
doozer12 Posts: 2 Member
Trying to switch to using My Fitness Pal from Carb Manager but MFP sucks at creating recipes..

I always use grams but it seems like the foods I look up in MFP almost never have grams for weight. I looked up some buckwheat flour today and it had cups, ml and fluid ounces.. cmon! Who measures flour in fl oz??

I dont see a way to edit those info on any of them either. How does everyone deal with this?

Replies

• divinehipster69
    divinehipster69 Posts: 17 Member
    doozer12 wrote: »
    Trying to switch to using My Fitness Pal from Carb Manager but MFP sucks at creating recipes..

I always use grams but it seems like the foods I look up in MFP almost never have grams for weight. I looked up some buckwheat flour today and it had cups, ml and fluid ounces.. cmon! Who measures flour in fl oz??

I dont see a way to edit those info on any of them either. How does everyone deal with this?

Look up how many calories per gram the food has online. Then add it to your list of foods, add the nutrition info to it. I've had to do that a bunch of times. I do that when I order food from restaurants too, if the nutrition info is listed anywhere. Or if you don't want to take the time to add the specific food to MFP you can always look up the food online, then quick add calories, which won't make your macros for the day accurate, but at least you won't go over calories.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    This is a useful website: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

If you look up buckwheat you get a 5-digit number, like 20008. If you include that number in your search, you're more likely to find one that's accurate and has grams.

Everything in the database, except for some data that was downloaded from the usda years ago, is user-generated and often inaccurate or not helpful. Once you get your most-frequent food ID'd, it's much easier.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    There are usually many entires for most things. I just did a quick search for buckwheat flour and saw 11 on the first page that were listed in grams.
    Often there is a drop down list on measurements that allows you change to a different unit of measure.
    Good luck!