Physical Activity

Options
Should we do more than one physical activity in one day or is that too much?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bearing in mind that some people have the capability to do 24hr bike races and some people get out of breath climbing one flight of stairs don't you think it depends on the person and the activities?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Agreed that this is REALLY going to depend on the person, their goals, what else their life entails, and what that person defines as "activity."

For example, I currently workout in the mornings before work, and have a couple of after-work activities (martial arts and horseback riding) that I participate in. I sit at a desk all day, weekends can vary from relatively lazy (one of the side activities or both) to very active (race weekends).

When I was younger I had more active jobs, primarily riding and training horses and working in barns - I didn't consider that an "extra" activity, it was just a normal part of my day.

Someone training for an ironman or other big event is going to have a different training regime than, say, a newbie exerciser. One person may have an active life outside of the gym, another may not. What is over doing it for one person is going to be dramatically different than what is over doing it for another.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    neeneileen wrote: »
    Should we do more than one physical activity in one day or is that too much?

Depends on the person...depends on the activities...depends on fitness level, etc. Last Saturday I got up and went for a 20 mile bike ride...when I got home I did my body weight training. We did some cleaning and then decided it would be fun to go rock climbing for a few hours in the afternoon. When we got home from that, my wife and I and my kids all jumped in the pool...I played Marco Polo with my kids for about 45 minutes before retiring to the hot tub with a beer.

All in all, I was physically active most of the day.

Also bear in mind that increased activity requires fueling said activity...if you're just trying to make a bigger deficit with more exercise, that's not always a good idea...rarely is.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    A lot of people commute to and from work on bikes instead of in cars or public transportation. Once in the morning, once in the evening.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    To much for what?

There are many people who are very active at work, nurses, care workers, construction workers, farmers etc. Who might easily be running about, lifting, carrying etc for 12 hours or more.

It's going to depend entirely on the person, the activity and the circumstances.