Steps each day

Options
Hey I have mobility issues and can only walk short distances with crutches and the rest is a wheelchair. I am really trying to increase my steps and am up to 2000 a day now. Annoyingly I didn't have a fitness tracker when I was well and healthy so I have nothing to base it on.

So just wondering for those who class themselves as sedentary how many steps a day do you do roughly?

I know this isn't an exact science at all.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I think generally sedentary is less than 5000 steps.
    As someone with a desk job, I find on days where I don't make a concerted effort to get up and walk around and take purposeful walks, I usually end up in the 4000-5000 range, so that tracks for me.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I would imagine that walking with crutches takes more effort and burns more calories than walking without them.

I think it's going to be hard for you to compare your activity level, based on steps, with people who do not have mobility issues. 2,000 steps for someone in your situation is WAY more activity than for most people. You're right that it's not an exact science.

Best of luck to you.

Agree with this! I know when I broke my leg and had to crutch a mile one day, that was WAY, and I mean WAY more work than walking that same mile a year later!

To answer your question though, when I lived in a tiny basement, and took the train to work, where I sat at a desk all day, it wasn't uncommon for me to get less than 2K steps a day. Now, living in a bigger home on multiple levels, a similar day results in ~3500-4000 steps.

Purposeful exercise or other activities outside of sitting on the couch obviously increase that number, and most days I get around 6500 steps with intentionally getting up and taking the long way, parking at the back of lots, etc.

Honestly with your situation, I would think more activity is good (although that doesn't necessarily require steps or walking) regardless of step count, and if you're trying to lose weight, it may take a little playing around with your calories to account properly for your activity since it will definitely vary from what an otherwise healthy person with similar stats would expend for the same number of steps.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I started at less than 1000 steps and am up to between 2500 and 3000 now. That's as high as I'll go too, I can't leave my desk easily.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and can get get 4000 steps in ONLY IF I set an hourly reminder to do so.