Healing bones and extra calories?

Options
Hi all,
Weird question but I was just thinking about it because I got a stress fracture from running. I assume the body needs extra calories in order to repair bones, but how many more? Since my fracture I’ve seen my weight begin to drop despite eating slightly more. I want to make sure I don’t gain too much while I’m on break from my sport, but also that I’m giving myself the nutrients I need to heal as quickly as possible. I’m cross training as well during this time. What does everyone else do when you’re injured?
Thanks!

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    When I had my stress fracture, I tried to eat at sort of maintenance.

Have you been cleared for other activities? With mine — metatarsal stress fracture — my ortho wouldn’t let me run or go to barre, but she cleared me for spin and swim. That could help you feel like you’re doing something, even if it’s not what you’d normally prefer.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    When I had my pelvic stress fracture, I was really depressed and stopped eating as much. I ended up losing about 10 pounds that I hadn't intended. I don't know if it had an effect on my healing since eveything I read at the time said that pelvic sfx could take a very long time to heal. In my case it was 7 months before I was able to run again without pain.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    When I had my stress fracture, I tried to eat at sort of maintenance.

Have you been cleared for other activities? With mine — metatarsal stress fracture — my ortho wouldn’t let me run or go to barre, but she cleared me for spin and swim. That could help you feel like you’re doing something, even if it’s not what you’d normally prefer.

Yep cleared for eliptical, swimming and walking around a bit in my boot. I’m grateful I can still do something!
  • FL_Hiker
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I can't help with exact numbers, but a few years ago I broke my wrist. I continued to eat at a deficit (250 calories) and after 6 weeks I went in for my check-up. X-rays revealed no evidence of healing whatsoever. :disappointed: After that, I started eating a little above maintenance for the duration of my convalescence.

Yikes that’s really rough. That’s what I’m afraid of. Thanks for chiming in!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    Maintenance would be a good idea to start. Beyond that might depend on type of breath and how many energy reserves you had too and how large of a deficit and how long you've been at it!
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Maintenance would be a good idea to start. Beyond that might depend on type of breath and how many energy reserves you had too and how large of a deficit and how long you've been at it!

I’m not looking to lose weight 🙂 I’ve been maintaining for a long time now.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I’m not looking to lose weight 🙂 I’ve been maintaining for a long time now.

But you said in your OP that you are actually losing, so the answer is to eat more than you have been. If you told us how much you've lost while in recovery (average per week), we could offer a suggestion of how much more to eat compared to what you have been. People can't help with exact numbers if they aren't given any quantitative data to work with.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As your bones are constantly being broken down (by osteoclast cells) and rebuilt (by osteoblast cells) as part of normal bone renewal I doubt you need more than maintenance calories. 5% plus of your bone mass is replaced weekly.

Worth keeping your calcium up perhaps.