How accurate are most of the exercise calorie burns on this site?

Options
For example, I rode (leisurely) my bike to the store this morning. 10 minutes total both ways. I went to add that in, and I see a listing that says: "Bicycling, <10 mph, leisure (cycling, biking, bike riding)". So I click on that and enter 10 minutes. It then populates calories burned at 82. Which seems more than I feel I burned. But I have no way to actually knowing how much was burned. And I'm new to paying attention to any of this. So I really have no idea.

And I guess second question; is there a way to know for sure? Will a fitness band like a fitbit or something similar give me an accurate, or a good estimate on things like that? Because you can change the calorie number. So if I had an outside source that was more accurate to what I actually did I could just change it. I do a lot of small amount of exercises like that thought each day. But I've never really considered adding them all up and seeing what they are doing for me. And today I thought maybe I should. Adding that to the actual 30 minute workouts I do I could then see what my actual total burn was for each day.

Thanks in advance for taking the time. :)

Replies

• pmdonnelly
    pmdonnelly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Another thing is to set targets that are not calorie related. For example, maybe try to get the average heart rate up. I find time and duration to be less effective than average heart rate and pace.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I’ve found the calorie burns on MFP to be slightly higher than than they should be for me. I use the iRunner app to calculate my exercise burns and these have been spot on for me as I’ve always eaten back all the exercise calories it says and lost weight just as expected. I’ve continued using iRunner for the almost 6 years of maintaining my goal weight so it’s stood the test of time and I know it works for me. That app uses GPS and has various settings so it can be used for all kinds of exercise including biking. That being said, a burn of less than 100 calories like a 10 minute bike ride is something I wouldn’t even count as it fits in with regular daily activity anyway. Good luck on your journey! :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would track 10 minute exercises. Sure, if you did 10 of those in a day, but other than that it's probably too insignificant. I have some data to back it up:

Used to drive to work by car for nearly 2 years. Moved, ate the same number of calories (and basically the same food apart from brand of bread) and cycled to work for a year, 2.23km twice per day. Had no influence on my weight at all.

For longer rides I think that the database overstates it a lot for me. But my bikes are very light, easy rolling, and the terrain is non-existing.
  • SchmancyName
    SchmancyName Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    the only way to know for sure is to experiment with it for a a couple weeks or more. eat back all the exercise calories and see if you are still losing weight. Personally, I only eat back 1/2 of what it is telling me I have or none at all if I'm not overly hungry. I think a lot of people use it as an excuse to gorge on more calories. just like eating junk instead of healthy choices is not wise either. my opinion, sticking to it.

This is what I have been doing this week (first week on the site). And its been working for me so far. I'll probably just stick with doing that going forward.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Unless I have a super intense day I don’t eat calories back because I don’t trust the readings
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    For some exercises, MFP is very accurate. I mostly log running and walking, which are easy to calculate. I eat back 100% of those calories. I don't log short bits of exercise (i.e. 10 minutes stretching or yoga or calisthenics after my run) because that varies so much depending on how intense I choose to make it, plus I don't think it burns enough to make much difference. I look at those as bonus, which make up for errors in my logging. Some things like mowing the lawn or riding the exercise bike I'll log, since I sweat a lot and spend at least 45 minutes at them, but may or may not eat back all the calories, depending on how hungry I am.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    ya can simple eat 50% of what it says. its best advice many mfp users gives.