hello depression my old friend

Options
Everything was going great for two months... and then, depression struck again! Fortunately I'm still in a caloric deficit, but this past week it's felt impossible to go out on my walks. I can't get up early in the morning like I have been to walk when it's cool, and now my depression's telling me "it's too late in the day" to go for a walk. Listen, depression, I've gone for walks at this time of day before. Yeah, it's hot, but I can do it. I like taking walks. I have a goal to walk the entire trail, and I'm not going to get there if I don't walk regularly. If I walk, I earn more calories, delicious delicious calories.

Ugh, stupid brain chemistry. Come on, happy pills, kick in already.

Replies

• kx7003
    kx7003 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @darklyndsea Do you ever listen to music to psych yourself up to see if that changes your mood and makes you feel more inclined to take a walk even if it’s later in the day ? Do you live alone or have anyone who could accompany you a few times to lift your motivation and spur you on until u settle into walking later on?
  • darklyndsea
    darklyndsea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    kx7003 wrote: »
    @darklyndsea Do you ever listen to music to psych yourself up to see if that changes your mood and makes you feel more inclined to take a walk even if it’s later in the day ? Do you live alone or have anyone who could accompany you a few times to lift your motivation and spur you on until u settle into walking later on?

I always listen to music when I walk, because nature bores me to tears and traffic sounds aren't any better. It doesn't really psych me up, though. My walking buddy's on vacation. I'll get back to waking up at 5:30 to walk when she's back in town, for sure, but it's just a struggle for now.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I pray whatever went right the past two months happens again for you. We are here to support you. :)
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I don't know what you'll get from this, but sometimes I just don't give myself the option. I make the decision it's happening and then stop thinking about it. That way I don't let my brain interfere, once it's settled all my mood's complaints are ignored. The things I'm not determined to do is where my daily mood interferes...
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,470 Member
    Options
    kx7003 wrote: »

I always listen to music when I walk, because nature bores me to tears and traffic sounds aren't any better. It doesn't really psych me up, though. My walking buddy's on vacation. I'll get back to waking up at 5:30 to walk when she's back in town, for sure, but it's just a struggle for now.

Music always lifts my spirits and sometimes I exercise by dancing to it usually with my grandchildren.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I always find if I can get myself to start—I’m ready to keep going after about 10 min.

Music and suiting up make a huge difference for me too—been some great suggestions.

And, these is nothing wrong with seeing a doctor and getting some help. Mental health is a real thing many of us struggle with and there is nothing wrong with looking into getting help and trying to see what works with battling it.