Worried about exercising and weight

I normally work out three days a week with results of a lb lost each week for the last month. This week I started working out five days this week with more strength training and cardio than normal. I also gained 4lbs from it and I am more bloated in the morning even though I drink about a gallon of water each day. Should I be worried?

I would like to note that I am an avid scale weigher so should I stop looking at the scale?

Replies

• Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member

I would like to note that I am an avid scale weigher so should I stop looking at the scale?

yes...But I think you already knew that! LOL.. I try and only weigh on my weigh in days... its a better reward to see it as a whole on weigh in day!

I would not worry a whole lot about it just yet.... I know sometimes when I work out hard or change my activity/routine.. the scales will show less of a weight loss! I would give another week and see where that leaves you!

I always advise you to consult your doctor, nutritionist or trainer just because I am none of those three!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    When I worked with a trainer a few years ago, it took forever to lose any weight. Watch how your clothes are fitting in the coming weeks. I do weigh in every day and I fully believe in this practice, but it's not my focus.
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    As long as you are doing what you are supposed to I wouldn't worry about it yet. I've noticed when I don't see the results I expect after a week or two, all of a sudden I weigh in and *bam * down four pounds. Give it time to catch up :)
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    As long as you are doing what you are supposed to I wouldn't worry about it yet. I've noticed when I don't see the results I expect after a week or two, all of a sudden I weigh in and *bam * down four pounds. Give it time to catch up :)

I am the same way. I either appear to have gained or stayed the same for a week or two then one day I get on the scale and suddenly I am down 3-4 pounds. I don't get it but apparently that is just the way some bodies adjust to weight loss? It could just be the timing of it all too. Women's weight can vary so much depending on your cycle and how your body deals. I for one tend to go down the week before, up the week of, and back down the week after. So my scale goes up and down but I just chalk it up to how my body handles my cycle.

Weighing everyday has helped me to pinpoint how my body reacts to my cycle and over the last 7 months I have learned to spot actual weight gain/loss vs normal (for me) fluctuations. I also don't ever record a "hard" weight loss until I haven't seen a higher number for a week. So if everyday I weigh and I see 157, 155, 157, 158, 155 I will log my weight for the week as 158. This just makes me feel better then if I had said I was 155 then saw the 158.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    If you are an avid scale weigher because you like numbers and you want to heavily document what's going on- that's fine.

If on the other hand- you are an avid scale weigher and you panic about weight gain despite a massive change in diet... then I'd put the scale away. You seem a little more like the latter than the former- so I might only weigh yourself 2x a month and realize that the tiniest things will make you flux in weight. Don't panic- stay the course.