What’s the gym etiquette of asking for a spot?

Options
2»

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "it socially acceptable to just go back to your workout everyday without saying hi and making conversation" I don't think this should be "socially acceptable" under any circumstances. After a while, going to the same gym at the same time you will see the same people on a regular basis. How can you not, at least, offer a nod of acknowledgment to someone you see regularly? Nod, say hi, try a short conversation, you just might become friends, at the least you'll become acquaintances. Of course, if after that nod, you get no favorable response, don't be a creep.
    I hate this thinking. People have lots of reasons for choosing not to, or being unable to engage. If it's somewhere you go for solo activities, they have no reason to feel obligated to.

if after that nod, you get no favorable response, don't be a creep.

I'm objecting to the part I bolded, where you imply there's something wrong with not, at least, offering a nod.

There is. I don't think I implied it, but came right out and said it. We are a social being. One of the problems with the world is all of us not recognizing that fact and becoming more and more separated from each other. No feeling of togetherness, no sense of community, no bond, no mutual aid, assistance or support. Loners are under no obligation to join in society, but I feel we are all obligated to at least try and get together to get along . If a nod offends you, don't respond; you'll be left alone. Ignore your fellow gym members, ignore your neighbors, ignore all other members of the society in which you live; I maintain that that is wrong.

So again, if a nod, or friendly greeting, offends you, don't respond; you'll be left alone.

If ignoring all the members of my society is wrong, I don't wanna be right...

You're under no obligation to respond. You don't have the right to foist your solitary ways upon me. So again, if a nod, or friendly greeting, offends you, don't respond; you'll be left alone. Good day.

Nobody expressed offense at someone's nod in their direction. What I expressed offense at was you saying that those who choose not to initiate social interaction are wrong. You expressed a view that anyone not like you is what's wrong with the world today.

I'm not what's wrong with the world. I can say that bigotry, that intolerance of difference, is a lot of what's wrong with the world. Perhaps you should spend less time pointing out the motes in others eyes.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I think it goes without saying, but it should be an exercise that definitely requires spotting...don't make things awkward AF asking someone to spot you on say...bicep curls

But the seated cable row machine is ok, right? Don't tell me I've been doing it wrong.

I think you're going to have to explain/rationalize the need for a spotter on that one...injury/some sort of mobility issue/etc.? Or are you just flat out joking/trolling?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    "it socially acceptable to just go back to your workout everyday without saying hi and making conversation" I don't think this should be "socially acceptable" under any circumstances. After a while, going to the same gym at the same time you will see the same people on a regular basis. How can you not, at least, offer a nod of acknowledgment to someone you see regularly? Nod, say hi, try a short conversation, you just might become friends, at the least you'll become acquaintances. Of course, if after that nod, you get no favorable response, don't be a creep.
    I hate this thinking. People have lots of reasons for choosing not to, or being unable to engage. If it's somewhere you go for solo activities, they have no reason to feel obligated to.

if after that nod, you get no favorable response, don't be a creep.

I'm objecting to the part I bolded, where you imply there's something wrong with not, at least, offering a nod.

There is. I don't think I implied it, but came right out and said it. We are a social being. One of the problems with the world is all of us not recognizing that fact and becoming more and more separated from each other. No feeling of togetherness, no sense of community, no bond, no mutual aid, assistance or support. Loners are under no obligation to join in society, but I feel we are all obligated to at least try and get together to get along . If a nod offends you, don't respond; you'll be left alone. Ignore your fellow gym members, ignore your neighbors, ignore all other members of the society in which you live; I maintain that that is wrong.

So again, if a nod, or friendly greeting, offends you, don't respond; you'll be left alone.

How about you do you and let others decide for themselves how much or what social interaction at the gym they would like and stop trying to impose your sociability value on others.

OP, I don't typically need a spot because I'm rarely lifting to failure. Those rare occasions that I do, I just pick someone who looks reasonably like they'd know what they are doing and ask them at an appropriate moment, like not in the middle of a set. I also tell them what I want and how eg. what cue I'll give them to grab the bar. No biggie.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I think it goes without saying, but it should be an exercise that definitely requires spotting...don't make things awkward AF asking someone to spot you on say...bicep curls

But the seated cable row machine is ok, right? Don't tell me I've been doing it wrong.

I think you're going to have to explain/rationalize the need for a spotter on that one...injury/some sort of mobility issue/etc.? Or are you just flat out joking/trolling?

The smart money is on the later.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Joking. I read your good advice and tried to think of the lift that's least likely to require a spot.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Options

Joking. I read your good advice and tried to think of the lift that's least likely to require a spot.

Ok, bro, I seriously need your help, can you spot me on back squats? I'm only doing 135lbs...and I'm like totally not trolling you just to cop-a-feel
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,497 Member
    Options

Ok, bro, I seriously need your help, can you spot me on back squats? I'm only doing 135lbs...and I'm like totally not trolling you just to cop-a-feel

..... so my motives are evident when spotting her wrist curls ?

dang.
  • Keto_Vampire
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @motorsheen = type of guy asking women @ the gym to spot for good mornings & machine abduction ("bad girls")...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

I hoped this group of 70 year olds would cop a feel when I asked them to spot me for my planks, but they asked how exactly to do that and I didn't have a good answer ready.