I go to the gym to get hit on by guys

@LiftingSpirits

..... howz that working out for you ??
  • Pandemonium_
    Pandemonium_ Posts: 945 Member
    You'll do it and you'll like it!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    hm. I see where you are coming from, but also see it's not ideal for everyone for all of those reasons people have already said above.

Personally I LIKE working out with weights. I have some weights at home - I never use them. I just can't motivate myself to do stuff at home. So if I didn't have a gym membership, I'd not have any muscles. The more muscles, the more I can eat. I like to eat, so I want as much muscle as possible to sustain my eating habits LOL!

I go to a university gym, where it's very cheap for staff. It's a no-frills gym with old-skool equipment, but it's great and everyone knows everyone as we get to know each other based on the times we work out.

And i still part far away, or get off the bus a stop (or more) earlier, and take the stairs to my office, and all that stuff. I don't count that as "exercise" though, that to me is just being active and increasing my NEAT so i can eat more.

Common theme there?
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    kam26001 wrote: »
    I don't go to a corporate gym. I support my local startup gym where the owner's Corvette is always parked out front and he knows everyone's name before they even pull out their membership card. I feel a sense of empowerment seeing my money go directly into his pocket. Vive la résistance training!

u cant spell empowerment training without ranting women
    🙄
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »

@LiftingSpirits

It works, but they are all old or married 🤷‍♀️
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,492 Member
    Well for 65% of the population, they don't pay to go to the gym either and rather just focus their life on just living day to day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    Sounds like one good conversation, I lost 60lbs without a gym membership and can understand those not wanting to spend money.

If you’re determined and motived (for a health change) it won’t take buying a membership to make that happen.

I will say, I ended up paying for a membership to modify my goals and what I’m working for. I don’t mind the fee, I also enjoy classes to be surrounded by likeminded people.
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member

@LiftingSpirits

I’m like 2 years older than you sheesh
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    From a Forbes 2018 article.

The US fitness industry comes in at 30 Billion Dollars.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/benmidgley/2018/09/26/the-six-reasons-the-fitness-industry-is-booming/#49e78c53506d

That's a lot of money for the economy and employs a good number of people.
    Those good people funnel dollars back into America's economic engine and (hopefully) pay their fair share of taxes . (that's a good thing.)

I would hope that a focus on fitness would somehow help to alleviate soaring healthcare costs. The more fit you are, usually the healthier you are with leads to lower healthcare costs, right? (again, another positive.)

By and large, I'm thinking that the Fitness Industry is a positive industry as compared to something like.... I dunno, the snack food industry (don't hate me.)

That being said, if one chooses to exercise outside and away from a gym, great; have at it.

Freedom of Choice, Baby.

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Me personally I’d never pay for a gym membership now (I have before though) and I basically do everything there that I could do at home! I have my own weight equipment at my house but also I see why people do pay for a gym membership. Some might not be able to afford the money to buy their own weight equipment up front and it’s easier to pay 10+ dollars a month then putting the cash up front or some people need help with how they exercise. Some people really do need fitness trainers. Like myself, I really have no idea what helps me to get to where I want to be so fitness trainers are there to break it down for you.
    I personally can’t exercise because my vertebrae is pinching my spinal cord and it’ll lead to further damage but if I was able too I’d probably get a fitness coach!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I'm not even going to touch on the original post...that's a lot to digest.

If I don't pay for the gym, I'd have to buy a rack, bench, plates, dumbbells, new flooring for my basement to protect the tile...seems like a major PITA.

Plus, I'd miss the terrible gym music.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    A mere 30 minutes twice per week to look amazing, and be so much faster (running and cycling).. totally worth it (so efficient). (I never did comprehend in-gym cardio though).
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    no ... my health insurance pays for some of it.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited August 2019

• bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    I lead an active life. I work a full time job and do manual labor jobs on the side. I am always busy and on the go (can't bike or walk to work it is over 30miles). I do go to the gym. In the two years I have been there I found that my normal active life was not producing the results you would think it would. I have lost a few dress sizes and had increases in muscle mass.
    Now that I have all of this knowledge about working out and nutrition I can work out at home when I need to. I can't do any heavy weights but I can do other things. However I still prefer to go to a gym where I have a community of like minded people. If I am lifting I have spotters. Even after two years the coaches are there watching to make sure I have the right form and technique.
    Just like most things in life people do or don't do things for different reasons. If you don't want to pay for a gym, swell. Good for you! As long as I am able I will still be going to the gym.
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »

@LiftingSpirits

I’m like 2 years older than you sheesh

You were too subtle. I thought you just wanted to be helpful by spotting me
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member