Off topic- experience with chemotherapy for dogs?

Options
lauragreenbaum
lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
My 13 year old dog had a tumor removed from her liver 2 months ago. She seems fine, but has lost a little weight over the past few weeks. The vet oncologist wants me to bring her in for an ultrasound to see if the cancer (the tumor was cancerous) has returned. If so, I already told him I'm not putting her through another surgery but would consider chemo depending on what is involved. I have a call into him, but since it's Sunday thought I'd ask here if anyone has experience with that. I picture her being hooked up to an intravenous machine for hours, which I'd never do but have been reading up on the good ol' internet that chemo can also be administered through injections. If anyone has advice or experience I'd greatly appreciate it. Does the chemo get rid of the cancer? Does it just slow it down? Thanks

Replies

• lauragreenbaum
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I have been in dog rescue for over 30 years. I personally adopt dogs from abusive/neglectful situations.

I make a promise to each of them that I will give them the highest quality of life that I can. I also promise to let them go on their terms, not on mine.

Should I ever get cancer myself, I would choose not to do chemo. I'm 61.

I would not put my older dogs through chemo. That's my personal choice.

Good luck whatever you choose. My dog pack sends wet licks to your dog. ❤

Thank you for this. What are the side effects of chemo on an older dog? I do want to do what's best for her. She's 13 but still has a ton of energy- runs and chases butterflies all day long. Will chemo make her feel sick? I honestly want what is best for her- her quality of life and being free from pain.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I have no personal experience with the side effects or end results, so can't advise as to that.

I would suggest doing research on dog related websites.

Edited to add: putting your dog thru chemo for one type of cancer will not prevent other cancers from growing.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    At that age, I wouldn't put a dog through surgery or chemo. That's a good, long life.

A couple of years ago, my dog had terminal cancer. I've done palliative care myself, and the pain control she had was better than people seem to get. I filled her last couple of weeks with plenty of treats and love, and the day before I had her put to sleep she tried to chase a rabbit. It tore my heart out, but I know I did the best thing for her.
  • lauragreenbaum
    Options
    At that age, I wouldn't put a dog through surgery or chemo. That's a good, long life.

A couple of years ago, my dog had terminal cancer. I've done palliative care myself, and the pain control she had was better than people seem to get. I filled her last couple of weeks with plenty of treats and love, and the day before I had her put to sleep she tried to chase a rabbit. It tore my heart out, but I know I did the best thing for her.

Thank you, this was helpful. The only reason I put her through the surgery is the tumor was very small and I wanted to catch it early. Plus....even though she's 13 she's so energetic I just don't think of her being that old. But...that one surgery is it. I will not put her through another one. I guess my question is, if the cancer comes back and I don't do chemo, will she be in pain? Will managing her pain be the only option? Can chemo cure the cancer or does it just prolong her life ---and potential suffering? God, it's a hard decision. I love her more than I love most people. She's been with me since 4 months old.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    You might get extra time with her due to the chemo but the end result will be a dog that doesn't live to its natural lifespan.

For example, I rescued a Saint Bernard who had heartworm and other parasites. I nursed him back to health but he always had weak lungs after that.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Thank you, this was helpful. The only reason I put her through the surgery is the tumor was very small and I wanted to catch it early. Plus....even though she's 13 she's so energetic I just don't think of her being that old. But...that one surgery is it. I will not put her through another one. I guess my question is, if the cancer comes back and I don't do chemo, will she be in pain? Will managing her pain be the only option? Can chemo cure the cancer or does it just prolong her life ---and potential suffering? God, it's a hard decision. I love her more than I love most people. She's been with me since 4 months old.

I wish I knew the answers. Some of those are questions even a vet can't answer, but it'll help to talk them through.

Stay strong <3
  • lucyluvhandles
    lucyluvhandles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear about your dog. I have 4 fur babies myself and they are the absolute loves of my life. I hope you find the right answer as far as what to do. A big hug to you and your fur baby.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    @lauragreenbaum

How are you and your dog doing? Been thinking of you both. ❤
  • lauragreenbaum
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    @lauragreenbaum

How are you and your dog doing? Been thinking of you both. ❤

Thanks- she's doing fine. Seems totally normal, eating well, playing, etc. I did finally talk to the vet oncologist who told me that chemo is not very effective on cancer in the liver because the liver is designed to fight it. The best way to treat it is surgery . She's a 13 year old dog and we just did surgery two months ago, so I've decided not to do any more. Hopefully they removed all of the tumor and it won't come back during the natural span of the rest of her life.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    My pack and I hope you two continue to make some happy memories. ❤💜💛💚💙