Walking

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I log everything to the best of my ability & I count all hidden calories. I google things also if I can’t find any info. I have not gotten a scale as of yet. I understand you can eat & still gain , regardless of what it is.

What are “hidden calories”?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I log everything to the best of my ability & I count all hidden calories. I google things also if I can’t find any info. I have not gotten a scale as of yet. I understand you can eat & still gain , regardless of what it is.

What are “hidden calories”?

was wondering this too...if they are "hidden," would they be....hidden?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’d think what is meant here is fats and oils used in cooking, dressings etc?
  • kelliclark805
    kelliclark805 Posts: 15 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hidden calories in sauces, dressings, oils.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hidden calories in sauces, dressings, oils.

Those calories are not hidden, the calorie count is right on the label.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It’s hidden if someone else prepares it which is why you need to be in charge of st least there for the prep
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It’s hidden if someone else prepares it which is why you need to be in charge of st least there for the prep

Calling ingredients that you aren’t sure the quantity when someone else prepares food for you “hidden calories” sounds so sinister and nefarious.

It’s just food. Be as accurate as possible when something is in your control and when food prep is not in your control use reasonable estimates. This goes for meals at someone’s house, eating in restaurants, etc . Exacting details aren’t required 100% of the time but accurate logging when possible helps give confidence that the times when there is less certainty aren’t going to derail everything.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Options
    But some things you just can’t see and if you don’t know they’re there then they’re hidden. Which is why it’s important to be aware of what’s in your good where possible
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Options
    But some things you just can’t see and if you don’t know they’re there then they’re hidden. Which is why it’s important to be aware of what’s in your good where possible

It’s probably semantics but i would just call that “unknown” or “uncertain” as “hidden” makes it sound like someone is deliberately trying to sneak something in.

So you don’t eat in restaurants? Don’t eat a meal at a dinner party or office potluck?

In instances where there’s more uncertainty most people just make an educated guess from the database and choose a reasonable estimate based on experience in logging.
    There’s a difference between eating out and eating a meal every day that someone else prepares. Hidden or whatever you call it just mean you can’t see it and don’t know it’s there. Either way you can’t log it if you don’t know and it could well add up every day
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    OP if your spouse is preparing your meals have them save the labels and leave the ingredients out for you so that you can get as close as you can. My husband does this for me and eventually started using the food scale on his own to weigh the protein out for me. It’s not perfect but it’s better than nothing and it also helps you take the responsibility of figuring out what you’re actually taking in.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

It’s probably semantics but i would just call that “unknown” or “uncertain” as “hidden” makes it sound like someone is deliberately trying to sneak something in.

It definitely is just semantics! I’ve seen and heard the term ‘hidden calories’ used many many times from many many sources over many many years. It’s the butter or milk/cream in your mashed potatoes, the egg holding the breadcrumbs on your fish, the breadcrumbs and egg used in your burger patty to stop it falling apart...the oil in your sauté pan, in your salad dressing etc etc. Anything that isn’t immediately obvious if you’re not logging in real time as you cook. I’ve never heard them referred to as ‘unknown’ or ‘uncertain’ though, because they’re neither of those. If you know they’re there they are definitely countable.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

So you don’t eat in restaurants? Don’t eat a meal at a dinner party or office potluck?

In instances where there’s more uncertainty most people just make an educated guess from the database and choose a reasonable estimate based on experience in logging.
    There’s a difference between eating out and eating a meal every day that someone else prepares. Hidden or whatever you call it just mean you can’t see it and don’t know it’s there. Either way you can’t log it if you don’t know and it could well add up every day

If you had a close enough relationship with someone else (like a spouse) that they were preparing all meals, couldn't you just ask what was in it? I usually cook but if I'm cooking for others and they asked, I'd say what I used and general amounts. It might not be perfect if I weren't counting or in the habit -- a pour of olive oil, maybe a tbsp -- but it wouldn't be hidden.

When I was logging and went to a restaurant I'd usually add a significantly larger amount of butter (or oil, depending on the type of restaurant) than I'd use at home, even if I couldn't tell it was there, because I just assume it is.

I do think it's very common for people, before they start logging carefully, to assume calories are way lower than they are since they don't think of additions like these, although they are among the highest cal, but if one is logging carefully they won't be hidden at all.

Anyway, not criticizing the usage so much as wondering about it. Maybe it's a UK thing? I've literally never heard anyone call these kinds of cals "hidden" and most know (even if they don't quantify and underestimate) that high fat sauces and butter and added oils are among the most caloric additions to meals.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    At 5’4” something over 2000 cals per day sounds like maintenance level.

This is what I was thinking too. Drop it by 250 calories. If that does not budge the scales drop by 250 cals again for a 500 total deficit. I would not go lower than that though. I would also add some strength training as well. At least 1 day per week preferably 2 depending on how your body feels...
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    @kelliclark805 I would lower your intake. Eat less calories. Walking is good but maybe swimming or aqua exercise is better if arthritis is a problem.