Deodorant

Options

Replies

• your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    I appreciate people who worry about these things. They sound the alarm, make people pay attention, and in a few years the concern either fades away or I know to take it seriously.

Like SARS?

And cigarettes.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I appreciate people who worry about these things. They sound the alarm, make people pay attention, and in a few years the concern either fades away or I know to take it seriously.

Like SARS?

And cigarettes.

right?

.... can you believe people once thought that cigarettes were harmful ?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If deodorants caused cancers, we'd have a lot of rumors about pit cancers.
    We don't.
    It doesn't.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

This is really nothing new though...this has been floated around for damn near 20 years. If it was an issue I would imagine something more concrete and conclusive would have come out by now.
  • aziz_n1
    aziz_n1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Will always use deodorant. Don’t like the thought I ‘smell’ bad so tend to spray very generously. Also agree with earlier comments, sweating is a natural process, so why stop it with anti-perspirant? Can’t be good.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don’t worry about it. I have a family history of breast cancer, and one of my aunts developed it despite not having used deodorant or antiperspirant for nearly 40 years. I’m morbidly obese and work in a sheet metal factory, so I don’t have the luxury of skipping deodorant (had to ditch antiperspirant because I was constantly developing cysts).

It’s been a long time since I read anything on correlations between deodorant usage and breast cancer, but I do recall about ten years ago there was a study that suggested the culprit linking them may be an aluminum compound found in some antiperspirants.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    I don’t worry about it. I have a family history of breast cancer, and one of my aunts developed it despite not having used deodorant or antiperspirant for nearly 40 years. I’m morbidly obese and work in a sheet metal factory, so I don’t have the luxury of skipping deodorant (had to ditch antiperspirant because I was constantly developing cysts).

It’s been a long time since I read anything on correlations between deodorant usage and breast cancer, but I do recall about ten years ago there was a study that suggested the culprit linking them may be an aluminum compound found in some antiperspirants.

As a nod to paranoia I switched to aluminum free baking powder.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options

As a nod to paranoia I switched to aluminum free baking powder.

Bet it improved the taste of your cakes. :D
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I think it’s a good measure overall to make sure what we’re putting on our skin is good for us. While I can’t say for certain it causes breast cancer I’d rather not risk. The deodorant I purchase is aluminum free, and better for my skin anyhow. Good to be safe rather than sorry.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    #Marketing scare mongering tactic based on some shoddy low level of evidence, far from definitive loose associations. $$$
  • TheNeverPlayedSymphonies
    Options
    9tv19lbfd03z.gif

Ozone layer...what ozone layer?
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    We don't.
    It doesn't.

I am not saying I agree or disagree with deodorant causing cancer, but there are lymph nodes in that area and many women have experienced pain or lumps in the armpit area which led to a breast cancer diagnosis
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    We don't.
    It doesn't.

I am not saying I agree or disagree with deodorant causing cancer, but there are lymph nodes in that area and many women have experienced pain or lumps in the armpit area which led to a breast cancer diagnosis

Breast cancer starts in the breast then metastasizes to the local axillary lymph nodes, not the other way around.

You don’t get cancer in the armpit that spreads to the breast. It doesn’t work like that.

The substances in deodorant don’t absorb into the body’s circulatory system.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I happen to have an enchanting musk <3
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think it’s a good measure overall to make sure what we’re putting on our skin is good for us. While I can’t say for certain it causes breast cancer I’d rather not risk. The deodorant I purchase is aluminum free, and better for my skin anyhow. Good to be safe rather than sorry.

This is how I feel about it too.

As for brands, I used Schmidt's natural deodorant last fall/winter and loved it. But when spring came, I found it wasn't controlling odor very well at all. So I went back to Almay antiperspirant for awhile. Then I discovered Kopari which is awesome, in my opinion. Hiking in 90 F heat and no issues. Yeah I sweat a little more than with the Almay but it doesn't smell bad. Lots of weird reviews about rashlike symptoms under arms but I've not had anything like that.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    i've always heard if you're a guy you're not supposed to use anything with antiperspirant anyhow.
    as far as regular deodorant goes, i think the regular green Speed Stick is the best. it's what i figure Tom Selleck probably smelled like back in the day. the brown Musk scented one is good too for during winter i think
  • Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

This is how I feel about it too.

As for brands, I used Schmidt's natural deodorant last fall/winter and loved it. But when spring came, I found it wasn't controlling odor very well at all. So I went back to Almay antiperspirant for awhile. Then I discovered Kopari which is awesome, in my opinion. Hiking in 90 F heat and no issues. Yeah I sweat a little more than with the Almay but it doesn't smell bad. Lots of weird reviews about rashlike symptoms under arms but I've not had anything like that.

Were you able to get Schmidt's to go on smoothly? I would try to warm it up like they suggested but it always ended up crumbly.