Non Dairy Macro Friendly?!

I initially lost a bunch of weight 2 years ago which involved me using Greek yogurt as my go-to snack, but I’m not intolerant to dairy 😭 it’s made eating 10x harder and I eventually put all the weight back on. Starting this discussion to see if anyone has any suggestions on high protein non dairy Greek yogurts that aren’t gross because a lot of non dairy food just isn’t all that delicious 😞 I’ll take meal/snack suggestions as well 😀

Replies

• tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,446 Member
    The kite hill brand is good. I also like trader Joe's cashew milk yogurt.
  • melodyvegan
    melodyvegan Posts: 59 Member
    Kite Hill just came out with Greek style almond-based yogurt. I just had it as a nighttime snack. It was delicious!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I do wonder what all those variations of "Greek" yoghurt which are available around the world have got to do with the real, thing, namely: "GREEK YOGHURT". It is just milk from different animals which went through bacterial fermentation - and some bacteria can produce a rather stinky product. Then there are myriads of cultures, which can be applied as well. Those, who have eaten real "GREEK YOGHURT" know what I mean - it has no other "added ingredients" such as emulsifiers, stabilizers, chemically modified starches, bovine gelatine, anti-caking agent, milk powder, preservatives, potassium sorbate or any other rubbish. and this product does not travel too well and too long either. It starts to ferment in the morning and you can eat it by late afternoon. "Arketa!"
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    I discovered this too switching from a vegetarian to vegan diet, and the best one I've found is Silk plain soy based yogurt. I used yogurt to get a lot of my protein, and a lot of the vegan yogurts I've encountered have no (literally <1g) protein, especially the coconut based ones. The ones that have some protein are often super high calorie, so their protein to calorie ratio is still really bad. For the Silk soy one, 1 cup is 140 calories and 10g of protein, which blows everything else out of the water. It tastes slightly different from Greek yogurt, but not in a bad way at all. This is really the only yogurt I buy now.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    I do wonder what all those variations of "Greek" yoghurt which are available around the world have got to do with the real, thing, namely: "GREEK YOGHURT". It is just milk from different animals which went through bacterial fermentation - and some bacteria can produce a rather stinky product. Then there are myriads of cultures, which can be applied as well. Those, who have eaten real "GREEK YOGHURT" know what I mean - it has no other "added ingredients" such as emulsifiers, stabilizers, chemically modified starches, bovine gelatine, anti-caking agent, milk powder, preservatives, potassium sorbate or any other rubbish. and this product does not travel too well and too long either. It starts to ferment in the morning and you can eat it by late afternoon. "Arketa!"

Arketa? Is that a brand?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019
    This is a common ingredients list for greek yogurt sold in the grocery store: Grade A Pasteurized Milk and Cream, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei).

I guess the argument is that if it's not fermented at home it's not greek yogurt? Seems inconsistent with current usage.

There's this, of course: https://greece.greekreporter.com/2017/09/06/greece-vs-czech-republic-the-battle-over-greek-yogurt-in-the-eu-is-on/

But in the US I'm sure we'll continue to call many strained yogurts "Greek" whether Olympiana or not. (See: https://www.dairyreporter.com/Article/2018/06/14/US-company-launches-imported-authentic-Greek-yogurt)

Anyway, for non-dairy yogurts, I suspect that only soy will have any decent amount of protein, but I can't speak to the taste of the various ones. I'd try the different ones to see which ones you enjoy, if any.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Hi ceiswyn, Arketa in Greek means: voila / ecolo / so ist es / goed so / hora / that's the way it is etc. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

Greek yogurt refers to strained yogurt, that is, it has had some of the whey drained off so that it is thicker than "traditional" yogurt.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Generally active cultures in yogurt break down the lactose sugar into sugars that lactose intolerant people can easily digest. Is it possible that you have an issue with a different component of milk such as one of the proteins? A doctor can probably determine.

How about a vegan protein powder mixed into soy milk? Some of these are sold premixed in bottles to drink if you are looking for convenience.
  • zylkm4
    zylkm4 Posts: 18 Member
    This isn't yogurt, but sometimes I blend 1/2 block of refrigerated tofu extra firm with a tablespoon of cocoa powder, a banana, and stevia for a thick creamy not too sweet pudding that has the texture of yogurt. This comes to about 16 grams protein, though that's a whole lot of soy. I eat Greek yogurt now (I am pescetarian) but when I was vegan I could not stand the sugary commercial vegan yogurts with all the emulsifiers and gums in them. I tried making my own coconut or almond style but still found I had to add tapioca starch or agar flakes to get any thickness at all. I still drink exclusively plant milks, but find Greek yogurt does not bother me like other dairy. Pea milk (Ripple brand) has 8 grams soy free protein per cup so that is something to consider also. It's low sugar too.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    When I used non dairy substitutes in my life, I used to like So-Delicious Coconut Milk products. I know they have yogurts and ice cream, but I'm not sure about Greek yogurt.

But I enjoyed all of their products I used.