Diastasis Recti and building muscle

Options
Mommies that has Diastasis Recti and building muscles. How are you lifting heavy while keep your core safe from it creating a dome or widening some more?

I was told that I had to fix my split before lifting weights and others have told me I can do both lift heavy and fix my core. How was your journey with this and how do you like/dislike your results? And I would like to add you all but I have no idea how! Brand new to the app👋

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Mine isn't going to fix without surgery. Literally from my ribs to my pubis. When relaxed it's as wide as my palm, closing to about one finger width when I engage.

I wear a wide, elastic, lifting belt. I don't know if I need to, but it feels like it keeps things where they should be. I try to stay very aware of 1, keeping my spine in the right position, and 2, engaging my tummy before I do anything else.
    My youngest is 18 now, and it's never been made any worse by any exercise I've done. It just gets loose if I don't work out.

That's just my personal experience though. I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone take it as advice. I'd suggest talking to a Dr or physio, though in my experience they've not had much advice (they just "oh my gosh!" at it).

The only thing I can say for certain is that keeping them strong is important.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Move slow and engage that core before any weighted movement. My diastis was four fingers wide and through very conscious and careful movement it is down to just a finger width at my belly button. My youngest is now 11yo. I have had to add in movement slowly over the years because the abdominal weakness can contribute to severe low back pain(I have 2 blown disks) if I am not moving properly. When lifting, running, aerobics, etc I repeat often to myself to “corset” my core and keep it all pulled in. It is amazing to me how many moves my abs just want to push out and trick my brain into thinking they are engaged. I started running and aerobics when my youngest was a year, lost 40lbs initially, but didn’t really start in on the heavy weights sporadically until 7 years ago. So I had some healing and basic muscle fibre activation happening. Now I am just very cautious with my moves and add weight slowly. For example, my regular working squat is only 110lbs, the same weight as I currently bench press. 1 rep max is 200lbs but I can not do multiple reps at all with that without my abs disengaging and my back taking the strain.

Anyway, my abs under the fluff are great! Flat and even with no noticeable bulges anymore. They have peeked out a few times over the years but are currently under a layer once again. Lol!