How does P90x work?

Options
You see all these amazing before & after pictures from people who did P90x and went from flabby to buff and cut.

From what I understand, losing weight and gaining significant muscle at the same time is next to impossible. I'm assuming most of these people are eating at a calorie deficit. I find it hard to believe they had all this muscle to begin with and just shed a bunch of fat.

Similar question for skinny people: If you are eating at a surplus while doing the program you would be putting on muscle and some fat as well. Is it realistic to end up buff and cut?

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I have been wondering about this for a little while now.

Replies

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    A lot of before/after photos are taken in such a way that it makes the before look worse than the after. Take a look at this: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/weight-loss-photos-faked-trainer-andrew-dixon-19768949

Now, does P90X work? Yes, any exercise program where you are working incredibly had, for an hour or more a day, 6 days a week, will provide results. There isn't anything magic about P90X. I liked it because it taught me a lot about not only how to do weights, but also how to do cardio, and yoga as well. It is a well balanced program and super helpful for those who want to make change in their lives but don't want to go to the gym and don't know much about how to exercise properly.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When looking at the amazing P90x results, you have to realise that these people were incredibly buff in the first place, they just had a slightly high body fat % covering their muscle definition. P90x is essentially a cutting program, so you cant gain muscle, or the muscle gain will be minute during the program.
  • jkirby79
    jkirby79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When looking at the amazing P90x results, you have to realise that these people were incredibly buff in the first place, they just had a slightly high body fat % covering their muscle definition. P90x is essentially a cutting program, so you cant gain muscle, or the muscle gain will be minute during the program.

Good point. Thinking back on it, the people who end up with the best results were already pretty "thick" to begin with. It's too bad I'm so skinny and trying to go the opposite direction. I think it's much harder to do that!