Is it okay to workout before eating??

Options
For the past couple days I've been getting up early and going straight to the gym... my early is about 8 am by the way. I don't eat before I go because I'm not hungry and I don't eat when I get back because i'm still not hungry. I'm usually not getting anything to eat until about lunch time because that's when I finally start to fee hungry... is this okay or unhealthy??

Feel free to add me by the way :) I love motivation and support and I'm good at doing the same!

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I do IF, so I hit the gym at 5:30 am and only eat my first meal at 1pm.
    Nothing wrong with it. I do get 30g of BCAAs on lifting days but that isn't necessary at all.

Eat when you are hungry. Some people can't workout fasted, others like me perform better that way.
    Whatever works for you
  • JGFreeh
    JGFreeh Posts: 7
    Options
    If you can make it through your workout without needing to eat, shouldn't be a problem. Personally, I know I need at least a cup of broth or something salty beforehand or I'll end up passing out.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

It's probably fine, though probably not optimal to workout first thing fasted AND not eat until noon.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    As long as you're hitting your calories for the day.. I don't see a problem with it. I can't work out on a full stomach either, so if I work out in the AM (on wknds) I do it before breakfast.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's fine.

Take a banana with you - then you're covered if you feel you need to munch on the go....
  • kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Well I just started working out. so I'm only getting in 30 min at the gym.... I have fibromyaglia so my feet start to hurt on the elliptical around 10 min so I go til I can't take it any more which is around 15 min. And then I get off and do about 15 min weights...
    I'm really hoping losing some weight will help my feet stop hurting.. cuz I'm thinking it's cuz I'm so heavy ya know?

MY goals? You mean calorie goals or what ? lol
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    And I do get my calories in sometimes... It's just reallly hard for me cuz I don't get hungry a lot... If I had it my way i would eat lunch and dinner and That's it... but I can't eat enough in those meals to get a whole 1200 calories in my system lol so I have to eat a snack in between when I'm not even hungry
  • jimmmer
    Options

He means, like fat loss or build strength or increase endurance or gain muscle. Those kinds of goals.

Endurance is the goal you may struggle with if you train fasted - however, your condition means that you are not getting into endurance territory. Eating at lunch is fine. Loads of people do it. If you start training for a marathon, then you need to make sure you have something.
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    OH okay, my main goal right now is just to lose weight and get into a healhy weight range... I used to be really small and cute and I miss it lol
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    OH okay, my main goal right now is just to lose weight and get into a healhy weight range... I used to be really small and cute and I miss it lol

Then you're fine... no worries.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    It's fine :)
  • BooBoo1264
    BooBoo1264 Posts: 164
    Options
    Well I just started working out. so I'm only getting in 30 min at the gym.... I have fibromyaglia so my feet start to hurt on the elliptical around 10 min so I go til I can't take it any more which is around 15 min. And then I get off and do about 15 min weights...
    I'm really hoping losing some weight will help my feet stop hurting.. cuz I'm thinking it's cuz I'm so heavy ya know?

I also have fibro. I was diagnosed a few years ago. Just losing 20 pounds seemed to help me. My pain decreased a lot. I still have "bad days" where it hurts to even get out of bed. But they are a lot fewer. Also try switching to your diet. Lots of vegetables and lean meats seemed to help. When i started working out i could barely do 20 minutes without wanting to give up and stay in bed for a day or two.

It gets better :)
  • jimmmer
    Options

You'll be fine. You can easily eat more than 1200 cals and still lose weight, you know? Make sure you're getting enough protein, too.
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    Okay all of you are saying it's fine so I don't feel quite so bad about it anymore lol
    I've always heard stuff like, take a protein shake RIGHT AFTER your workout and eat before a workout or you'll pass out and all that blah de blah. lol
    I just wanna be healthy while losing weight. I'm not starving myself cuz I DO eat when I get hungry but not til then
  • kasimarie29
    Options

I also have fibro. I was diagnosed a few years ago. Just losing 20 pounds seemed to help me. My pain decreased a lot. I still have "bad days" where it hurts to even get out of bed. But they are a lot fewer. Also try switching to your diet. Lots of vegetables and lean meats seemed to help. When i started working out i could barely do 20 minutes without wanting to give up and stay in bed for a day or two.

It gets better :)

I KNEW losing weight woudl help! lol I've done it before and lost 20lbs and i felt SOOO good hahha that has a lot to do with why i wanna lose weight too, cuz I'm always in pain :(
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I work out every AM before I eat ...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Its fine. Calories for the day matter, not the timing, and never force feed because someone said that you need to eat at a specific time.
  • leaellenj
    Options
    As long as you have the strength to get through your workout, it's fine. I personally can't stomach eating breakfast and then working out right after so I wait and if I'm feeling a bit weak, I have a banana first. Make sure you hydrate and eat a good meal after.
  • kasimarie29
    Options

You'll be fine. You can easily eat more than 1200 cals and still lose weight, you know? Make sure you're getting enough protein, too.

I just thought that 1200 is the least you can eat or you'll go into "Starvation mode"
    and like I said I don't get hungry too much.
    and I eat a meat or protein in every meal and most of the time I have greek yogurt for a snack if i get a little peckish in the middle of the after noon so I think I'm good :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't feel weak or anything from it, you're fine. Some people need something in their tummies to get through the workout, but personally, I don't.

Last Sunday, I went on a 75-minute hike and then swam for an hour before eating anything.