Beginning Keto

rhayes57
rhayes57 Posts: 11 Member
Hi all,
I have spent a week using the new Atkins program. My sister has convinced me to switch to Keto. I figured out my Macros today - 68g. protein, 80 g. fat and 13g. carbs. I am also alloted 1049 calories. Can anyone tell me how to plan a daily menu that fits all of those specifications? I haven't eaten anything yet afraid that I'm going to blow it first meal! Thanks! Rory

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Hi Rory,

Your macros only add up to 1044 calories. How did you calculate these?
  • rhayes57
    Thank you all so much for your help. I purchased the book Simply Keto by Suzanne Ryan. I went on her website to calculate my macros. I am 61 years old, 5ft. 1in., and weigh 152.8. (Female) I am getting married in 39 days and want to be looking my very best.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    rhayes57 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for your help. I purchased the book Simply Keto by Suzanne Ryan. I went on her website to calculate my macros. I am 61 years old, 5ft. 1in., and weigh 152.8. (Female) I am getting married in 39 days and want to be looking my very best.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding.

Not much you can do in 39 days The low carb aspect of keto will drop your water weight but Atkins would have the same result. Depending on your activity you can only lose 3 or 4 pounds of actual fat weight in that amount of time. Keto won't change that.

What you don't want to do is eat so little you end up looking gaunt on your wedding day.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2019

With about 25lbs to lose to get into the healthy weight range, you really can't expect to average more than 1 lb per week, although it's typical to lose some water weight in the first week or two of low carb so you might see some big losses right off the top.

1200 cals is the lowest calorie goal MFP will give someone, because it is really hard to eat a nutritious diet and get enough energy off of less than that. And you don't want to be undernourished or fatigued for your wedding!

As @tcunbeliever said, I would set up your profile here, select a goal of 1 lb per week, and set 5% carbs if you want to do keto. Meanwhile, get plenty of rest and activity so you're looking your best. Congrats and good luck!
  • rhayes57
    I am SO grateful for all of your suggestions. Now I've got to try to manipulate mfp to change my macros. Thank you so much for your congratulations!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    I have had a significant loss in about a month and a half of eating keto. But as others have said, that's too low of calories. Shouldn't go under 1200 unless for a medical condition under a doctor's supervision.

I think I set MFP to lose 1lb a week and then adjusted macros under the goals. Was prepared mentally a for slow and steady loss.

Also when starting keto, if starting a workout routine, it's recommended to keep it light...

I eat as much protein and veggies as I can for main staple and fill in calories with olive oil, creams, cheeses, avocados, butter, etc.

The keto group and the Low Carber Daily Forum group are good places for advice and recipes.

Good luck and congratulations!
  • rhayes57
    Thank you for your advice. I am now a premium member of My Fitness Pal and have boosted my calorie intake to 1200. We're doing great!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Thank you for your advice. I am now a premium member of My Fitness Pal and have boosted my calorie intake to 1200. We're doing great!

Awesome! I had heart failure from keeping calories too low and electrolytes getting out of balance. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

I am always concerned when I see people post their calorie goal is under 1200... Want to scream NOOOO!! Not worth the risks.

Good luck on your special day!
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Hi @rhayes57 , I'm 64 and 5' 1'' too. I'm on 1200 calories , some days I eat more and some days I eat less. It will balance itself out at the end of the week. My macros are 5-10 % net carbs/ 20-25 % protein / 65 -75 % fat .Keto macros should be 5% net carbs/20 % protein/ and 75 % fat. I lost 25 lb in 7 months. You can see my food dairy if you want.x 🙂
  • rhayes57
    Thanks! I would interested in seeing your food diary if you would like to share it. Rory