Spartan Race Training

Options
Hey everyone! I am looking at running my first Spartan Race soon and was curious on how the "die hards" train for it! I have two Tough Mudders and two Warrior Dashs, but I have heard that the Spartan Race tops them all. Is this true? Anyways, I am curious to see how everyone trains for these races! Thanks in advance:)

Replies

• Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It depends on which one you're doing and the terrain that the course is on. I've completed two Tough Mudders and a number of 5k obstacle course runs including two Spartan sprints. My suggestions would be to keep up on upperbody training as there are a lot of walls and ropes and things to climb. Also, if you haven't already done so, you need to introduce Burpees into your life. With the Spartan Race they allow you one go at an obstacle, if you fail to complete it (ie fall off the monkey bars etc.) you have to do 30 burpees before you can continue on. Plan on doing at least a couple sets. The Spartan Race is much more in the same category as the Tough Mudder in intensity level. Also, since you're a guy I would prepare yourself to be challenged by the spartans at the end of the race. Two or three guys with padded things that look like Qtips (not sure their proper name) will try and knock you over n your race to the finish line. I've seen them take guys' feet out from underneath them. They're usually much gentler with the girls though. Hope this helps! Feel free to add me if you'd like or message if you have any other questions :) I am addicted to these races.
  • Just_Wil
    Just_Wil Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to these races, but I have done two Sprints and getting ready to do a Super Spartan next weekend. I'm hooked!

I agree with what workoutgrl87 says though. Be prepared to do at least a few burpees (I have yet been able to nail that spear throw). Depending on the venue, you can pretty much guarantee having to carry a 40 lb sandbag up a steep hill.

The Spartan people put out a daily WOD email that is supposed to get you in racing shape, but I guess it depends when your race is scheduled. Which race are you doing?
    Two or three guys with padded things that look like Qtips (not sure their proper name)

They are called Pugil Sticks :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I did the NY spartan sprint. and a TM.

I thought I had trained enough for hills. but I didn't the terrain was just crazy. Up and down a ski slope. The tough mudder I did wasn't nearly as bad, even though it was 12 miles as opposed to the Spartan 4 miles.

walls, walls. rope climb. monkey bars and walls. Those were the hardest obstacles. And burpees. Although you can just kind of fake a few and move on.

I call the Q-tip things nut crushers.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    i am doing the NJ one on 9/8 - it is the 9k version. to train i am increasing my cardio next two weeks since right now i do little amounts of cardio and all lifting. there are a TON of hills and about .5 miles between obstacles i have heard.
  • missADS1981
    Options

I thought I had trained enough for hills. but I didn't the terrain was just crazy. Up and down a ski slope. The tough mudder I did wasn't nearly as bad, even though it was 12 miles as opposed to the Spartan 4 miles.

walls, walls. rope climb. monkey bars and walls. Those were the hardest obstacles. And burpees. Although you can just kind of fake a few and move on.

the hills are what i'm hearing are rough.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

Some of it isn't even hills, just a mountain side of boulders.
  • missADS1981
    Options

here's a good video i found of the NJ/MT vernon course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuXjeLXyAns&list=TLS19DzTMh7t0
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It depends on which one you're doing and the terrain that the course is on. I've completed two Tough Mudders and a number of 5k obstacle course runs including two Spartan sprints. My suggestions would be to keep up on upperbody training as there are a lot of walls and ropes and things to climb. Also, if you haven't already done so, you need to introduce Burpees into your life. With the Spartan Race they allow you one go at an obstacle, if you fail to complete it (ie fall off the monkey bars etc.) you have to do 30 burpees before you can continue on. Plan on doing at least a couple sets. The Spartan Race is much more in the same category as the Tough Mudder in intensity level. Also, since you're a guy I would prepare yourself to be challenged by the spartans at the end of the race. Two or three guys with padded things that look like Qtips (not sure their proper name) will try and knock you over n your race to the finish line. I've seen them take guys' feet out from underneath them. They're usually much gentler with the girls though. Hope this helps! Feel free to add me if you'd like or message if you have any other questions :) I am addicted to these races.
    Thank you for the input!!It sounds a bit more intense than the TM. I will have to up my cardio a bit more:)
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to these races, but I have done two Sprints and getting ready to do a Super Spartan next weekend. I'm hooked!

I agree with what workoutgrl87 says though. Be prepared to do at least a few burpees (I have yet been able to nail that spear throw). Depending on the venue, you can pretty much guarantee having to carry a 40 lb sandbag up a steep hill.

The Spartan people put out a daily WOD email that is supposed to get you in racing shape, but I guess it depends when your race is scheduled. Which race are you doing?
    Two or three guys with padded things that look like Qtips (not sure their proper name)

They are called Pugil Sticks :)
    Thanks man! I am not sure which one and when but I know I its coming up on Races to do!!! Is it like the TM were every race has its own identity?
  • ajaxe432
    Options

Yikes!!
  • ajaxe432
    Options

here's a good video i found of the NJ/MT vernon course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuXjeLXyAns&list=TLS19DzTMh7t0
    Ty will check it out!
  • ks1004
    ks1004 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing my first Spartan Race. I found out about it @ http://powerworkout.net/. Any tips and advice?