How does this sound?

So I’m limited with workouts atm where I am but leave her in 12 days. I’ll be back at my mother’s place for approx six weeks before flying out to start my new job in remote desert. I want to be as fit as possible before I go. I am not unfit but I’m not conditioned either. I’m more cardio fit than strength. Anyhooo, this is my workout plan for when I get back in 12 days.

Mon- 6am gym boot camp class then horse riding
Tues - 8am rev class (spin) followed by a free gym session and yoga in the afternoon
Weds - 7am core workout class - 3pm aerial yoga
Thurs - 20km mountain hike
Fri - horse riding and yoga class
Sat- 10km hike and free gym session
Sun - rest

I also have a 10kg to lose so focusing on weight loss as well as building muscle.

Would love opinions

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Some of that sounds fun, a lot sounds unpleasant.

Losing weight (only) happens as a result of a calorie deficit. Exercise can help, sometimes a lot, but doesn't guarantee anything.

If you want to build muscle, you should follow a progressive overload program. There are several great ones and some are free.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Yep I’m already on track with the weight loss and losing steadily but I want to up my fitness and conditioning as well. Thanks will look into it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,589 Member
    Yep I’m already on track with the weight loss and losing steadily but I want to up my fitness and conditioning as well. Thanks will look into it

A good place to look:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Sounds like too much too quickly. 2 workouts most days?? You can’t really make up for lost time. In 6 weeks you can get into a basic 3-4 day routine. Take what you’ve been doing and add one day/workout every 2-4 weeks.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Sounds like too much too quickly. 2 workouts most days?? You can’t really make up for lost time. In 6 weeks you can get into a basic 3-4 day routine. Take what you’ve been doing and add one day/workout every 2-4 weeks.
    I have 6 weeks to get as fit as I can before I leave for my work. I won’t have a gym out there. It’s 240km from the nearest small town so I’ll have early mornings to workout before the heat gets too much. I know it’s going hard but I want to hit as hard as I can without creating injury.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I have 6 weeks to get as fit as I can before I leave for my work. I won’t have a gym out there. It’s 240km from the nearest small town so I’ll have early mornings to workout before the heat gets too much. I know it’s going hard but I want to hit as hard as I can without creating injury.

Your proposed plan screams "I'm going to sustain an injury", especially given your current level of fitness. That's part of what people are trying to tell you. You can't make up for lost time, you can only go forward.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

Your proposed plan screams "I'm going to sustain an injury", especially given your current level of fitness. That's part of what people are trying to tell you. You can't make up for lost time, you can only go forward.

And, just to add to this... if you don’t manage to actually injure yourself, you will probably burn out and arrive at your new job in poor condition.

Giving yourself such a short time to lose 10kg and get fit is a recipe for disaster.

Unless you are 50lbs over the top of the normal BMI range for your height aim for 1lbs a week.

If you will not have a gym available where you are going, set yourself up with an exercise routine that you know will carry forward, not something that is a quick fix.

If you have YouTube available start collecting workout routines that you can do now, and in your new location. If YouTube isn’t available, get a couple of books that you can follow, You are Your Own Gym, for bodyweight exercises, and a good yoga book, or some DVDs if applicable.

Living in a remote desert region is hard, my SO did it for 18months. Set yourself up to arrive there healthy, not undernourished and overtrained.

Cheers, h.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Oh I don’t want to lose 10kg before I go just thought I’d add that I am losing atm. I’m 75kg want to be 65 eventually. I will scale back my workouts thanks!