South African in France getting on top of being healthy again

Options
I am a South African currently living in France for the past year and 1 month. Once we arrived in France I had a tremendous wake up call. I decided to get my butt in gear and get my health and weight back on track.

When we left S.A. I was around 180kg’s which was a 60kg gain since 2006. This was due to bad life/work balance, coupled with excessive drinking and eating at leisure with little to no exercise.

I have taken up swimming, cycling, running, gyming, canoeing and core training the past year and am right back on track to getting fit and healthy again. With the help of MyFitnessPal to manage my consumption I have managed to shed 30kg’s by just eating properly and training. Thanks to MyFitnessPal I found my eating habits were around the 7000 to 10000 calories a day. Yes it was that insane.

I am managing to sustain around a 1,500 calorie deficit and still eating well. Now I am just selective with what I eat and have cut down heavily on sugar, bread and red meat. Red meat was hard to give up, but now we have red meat once a week as opposed to 5-6 times per week.

I still have a long way to go to 120kg’s from the 150kg’s I am currently at, however we take each day as it comes.

Down 30kg’s - Down from tight 4XL shirt to loose 3XL. Down from size 56 pants to 44.

Looking forward to contributing where possible and learning from everyone else as much as possible.

Keep on keeping on 👍

Replies

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Well done traitor!
    😜
    Just kidding! I wish I could get out too. I'm just jealous.

Then again, I have biltong handy at any given moment. So maybe I'm not the one who should be jealous 😁
  • Webbrent
    Webbrent Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well done traitor!
    😜

Then again, I have biltong handy at any given moment. So maybe I'm not the one who should be jealous 😁

Luckily I make my own Biltong, droewors, pickled onions and boerewors 😜

I won’t lie though, being out of S.A. has taken a massive load of stress and anxiety off my plate. The atmosphere back home was getting too toxic.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Webbrent wrote: »
    Well done traitor!
    😜

Luckily I make my own Biltong, droewors, pickled onions and boerewors 😜

I won’t lie though, being out of S.A. has taken a massive load of stress and anxiety off my plate. The atmosphere back home was getting too toxic.

Okay, I'm back to being jealous now. It is terribly toxic. I was taking out muggers in my mind when thinking about going running with my son. Gotta be prepared for everything