How long do cooked Egg Beaters last in the refrigerator?

Options
stardustandsunshine
stardustandsunshine Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I've been meal prepping on Sunday nights and make a batch of breakfast sandwiches with Egg Beaters. I usually refrigerate them overnight, put the bag in the freezer on Monday morning, and thaw an individual sandwich in the refrigerator each night.

This week I forgot to put the bag in the freezer, and it's now Wednesday. Are the sandwiches still safe to eat? I didn't eat at home this morning, but they smell okay and the one yesterday tasted fine. My only real concern is that I only cook the eggs until they're barely done enough to be safe, in fact I don't really like them straight out of the pan, because when I reheat them in the microwave they come out at the perfect texture.

The thing is, though, I actually like them better this week, not having been frozen, and now I'm wondering if I can just leave them in the refrigerator for the whole week. There's nothing else in the sandwich that would be cause for concern besides the egg--English muffin, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, precooked bacon and a slice of cheddar cheese--but the only information I can find on how long to refrigerate Egg Beaters pertains to uncooked eggs.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    From my reading, it sounds like a week is fine. Egg beaters don't contain yolk, and generally the whites last longer than the yolk, so I think you can use the "hardboiled egg" estimate of a week before they should be thrown out. Egg beaters uncooked last a week in the fridge so the slightly uncooked state is fine.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I cook egg beaters (the 100% egg white ones) on Sunday and eat them M-F every single week stored in the refrigerator. I'm guessing that it's longer than the food safety recommendation but I've never ever had an issue.

Edit to add it looks like the official recommendation for cooked egg dishes is 3-4 days in the refrigerator and they should be reheated to 165° F before serving..