What is your wake up routine?

gomezdiana06
gomezdiana06 Posts: 71 Member
edited August 2019 in Getting Started
My goal is to workout in the mornings, but because of my busy schedule I don't have time to workout in the afternoons and would prefer to do my workout in the mornings before work. I did succeed for a couple of days but couldn't get a good routine down to want to wake up. And over time it have has proven to be harder and harder for me to wake up in time to workout. Please let me know what routine you currently have, and how do you start your mornings? With a cup of coffee, water, stretches ect..
Thank you!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    When I was going to the gym in the morning, I set the alarm for 4:15 am, grabbed a water bottle and was at the gym at 4:30.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    I'm most successful working out on the morning when I prepare well the night before. Set out clothes, get to bed on time, improve sleep hygiene, pre-pack a gym back (if applicable); essentially remove any potential obstacle between you and working out in the morning. There's an app called Alarmy that I've found works well for snooze stopping.
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    I usually set my clothes out the night before because my brain doesn't function well in the morning. Up at 4:45am, get dressed, take the dog out, head out the door. I don't drink coffee (cuz it's yucky) and I workout or run fasted in the mornings.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Yeah, I'm one of those horrible, smug people who just jumps up, gets dressed and head straight out. Well... I head straight out after spending ten minutes crowbarring the mastiff off the sofa. He's not a fan of mornings!
  • gomezdiana06
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I'm most successful working out on the morning when I prepare well the night before. Set out clothes, get to bed on time, improve sleep hygiene, pre-pack a gym back (if applicable); essentially remove any potential obstacle between you and working out in the morning. There's an app called Alarmy that I've found works well for snooze stopping.

Thank you!, Defiantly going to try and prep everything the night before and will check out the app.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Get up at 4:30ish. Make coffee. Drink coffee. Drink some more coffee. Get into workout clothes. Go down into the basement - do my workout - usually 65-75 minutes. Make a smoothie for breakfast. Take a shower. Take a nap... ;)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    I absolutely can't make myself get up earlier to work out before work in the mornings (I prefer to run in daylight), but on weekends, my long runs are always first thing in the morning. I'll wake up (usually around 7 or 8), feed the dogs, put on my running gear and head out. I run fasted, but with a bottle of water and (now that I'm approaching half marathon territory) a couple of high carb snacks to eat throughout the run to keep me fueled. I'll shower once I'm back then go about my day.
  • AfreezeAdventure
    AfreezeAdventure Posts: 23 Member
    edited August 2019
    Day 1- 5:00am alarm, mix some water with pre work out and hit the gym by 5:20.
    Day 2- Wake up at 5:30- 20-30 minute jog. No prework out required when I go for a jog.
    Rinse and repeat.
    Saturday or Sunday off! (edited to include)

I'm on week 3 of this cycle and it works great. Had a hard time getting out of bed this morning though!

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Up at 5am, visit the loo, meditate, read, mobility drills, handstand pushups and pull-up supersets a la Pavel's Grease the Groove. Then off to the gym for yoga and then after that work...
  • LuckysGurl
    LuckysGurl Posts: 8 Member
    Alarm set for 4:55. Up, potty, weigh, dressed, out the door by 5:10/5:15 for a 5:30 class.

For me it is 100% about getting to bed at a decent hour the night before, and then just moving through the actions like a machine the next morning, removing all excuses and obstacles. If I let myself think about it, I'll talk myself out of getting up 100% of the time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm up at 5:15/5:30...I put my gear on and go get a cup of coffee and sit on my patio and shake the cobwebs off. My wife and I hit the road on our bikes around 6 AM...on weekdays we typically do 10 miles which takes us between 30-35 minutes.

I am not a morning person by any means...it just requires discipline, and I know I'm going to feel great after my ride and that it will set the tone for the day. I just make sure I'm up early enough to get some coffee in me and shake off the cobwebs...I can't just get up and go.

Also, I typically take Monday and Tuesday off and ride Wed, Thurs, Fri mornings so it's only 3 days to contend with. Then I do my longer rides on Saturday and Sunday, usually mid morning.
  • gomezdiana06
    LuckysGurl wrote: »
    Alarm set for 4:55. Up, potty, weigh, dressed, out the door by 5:10/5:15 for a 5:30 class.

For me it is 100% about getting to bed at a decent hour the night before, and then just moving through the actions like a machine the next morning, removing all excuses and obstacles. If I let myself think about it, I'll talk myself out of getting up 100% of the time.

I completely agree, most of the time its me arguing with myself in the morning to wake up and get out of bed. I am really trying hard to wake up the first time the alarm ring and not snoozing it. It takes discipline
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    My goal is to workout in the mornings, but because of my busy schedule I don't have time to workout in the afternoons and would prefer to do my workout in the mornings before work. I did succeed for a couple of days but couldn't get a good routine down to want to wake up. And over time it have has proven to be harder and harder for me to wake up in time to workout. Please let me know what routine you currently have, and how do you start your mornings? With a cup of coffee, water, stretches ect..
    Thank you!

I lay out my gym clothes and work clothes the night before. I pack my breakfast, lunch and snacks the night before. I'm in bed by 7:45 p.m. typically.

When my alarm goes off at 3:15 a.m., I brush my teeth and put on my gym clothes. Grab my work clothes and food and I'm out the door. At the gym from approximately 4:00 to 6:00 a.m.. Shower and dress at the gym and at work by 7:00. Black coffee when I get to work. I first eat around 9:30.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    My morning routine would be nothing without my nighttime routine. When I get home from work every day, I make my pre-workout smoothie and pack my food for work right away. I also get my gym bag packed with work clothes for the next day. I’m in bed around 8:30 so that I can get up the next morning at 4. I get one snooze when the alarm goes off, and then I’m up, go to the bathroom and weigh myself. I drink my smoothie then go wash my face and put my contacts in, grab some workout clothes from the drawer and get dressed. I’m out the door by 4:45 and at the gym and warming up by 5:15. Shower and get ready at the gym and I'm usually at my desk and eating breakfast by 7:15 or so.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited August 2019
    It took a month for me to get in the habit of working out in the mornings. I set my alarm at 5:30 AM but I snooze a couple of times and get up at 5:50 AM. I jump in the shower and that helps to wake me up. The shower is the only thing that gets me going. I am usually at the gym on the TM by 6:30 AM.

I work from home so i don't have to pre-pack anything.
  • gomezdiana06
    COGypsy wrote: »
    My morning routine would be nothing without my nighttime routine. When I get home from work every day, I make my pre-workout smoothie and pack my food for work right away. I also get my gym bag packed with work clothes for the next day. I’m in bed around 8:30 so that I can get up the next morning at 4. I get one snooze when the alarm goes off, and then I’m up, go to the bathroom and weigh myself. I drink my smoothie then go wash my face and put my contacts in, grab some workout clothes from the drawer and get dressed. I’m out the door by 4:45 and at the gym and warming up by 5:15. Shower and get ready at the gym and I'm usually at my desk and eating breakfast by 7:15 or so.

Your morning routine sound like its on point and I am starting to understand that it all starts with my night routine. Thanks
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    LuckysGurl wrote: »

I completely agree, most of the time its me arguing with myself in the morning to wake up and get out of bed. I am really trying hard to wake up the first time the alarm ring and not snoozing it. It takes discipline

You're getting some great advice here - I will emphasize that the greatest bang for your discipline buck is to develop a good sleep routine that you can stick with consistently - including weekends. It really does make getting up early so much easier.

Good luck!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    Days I work the early shift I have two separate alarm clocks, one set for 4:00 and the other set for 4:15. These two alarms are located on opposite sides of the room, and both require me to physically get out of bed and walk to where they are. If you can reach your alarm while still lying down, you can hit snooze before you are even consciously aware the alarm went off, but by walking to it... And by having a second alarm located elsewhere, I have to pause and wake up enough to realize which alarm is actually ringing, then avoid stepping on obstacles to reach it. By this time I'm typically awake enough to just stay up.

Of course, my cat has gotten used to being fed early morning, so those days when I do NOT work the early shift I still get woken up no later than about 5, thanks to claws to the face from a cat wanting breakfast.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I wake up, turn off the air conditioner and take my Synthroid pill with water. Bathroom. Get dressed. Grab a chocolate milk from the fridge and go to the subway for my class. After which I shower, dress for work and go to the office.

Everything is prepared from the night before, or on Sunday.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Wake at 6, lay there 10 minutes and try to find something positive to think about. Use the bathroom, weigh myself, drink water. After I drink the glass of water I start the water boiling for coffee. I put on some pants and wash my face while water is getting ready to boil. Pour over the water on the coffee grounds and wait for it to filter. Open up my planner and see what the tasks for the day are. Read my e-mails while waiting for the coffee to be cool enough to drink. Yep, that is my standard practice.